The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Build #3 finally getting there. 45 cal Bedford which will be my 2nd 45 cal Bedford and 3rd Bedford in all so far. Only 6-8 months behind. I finish with tung oil.

This is coat #3 with 3-5 more to go. Curl is starting to pop pretty good. Tried Tiger Hunt stain this time. Used it on a few other small projects before and really liked it but never on a rifle. Figured I'd give it a try. So far liking the color. More of what I have been looking for (in pic #2 you can see the test pieces for stains).

I plan on starting browning the barrel this weekend as soon as I get back from the Artisan's fair

Not going to be a show piece in any way, still making and overcoming mistakes. One problem I had was being away from the bench too long between steps. Broke my stride and getting back into the groove caused me to miss some steps and make mistakes. Another lesson learned. But, will be a nice utility hunter

Attachments

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
That surely looks like a showpiece to me!

Are you going to help it loose its virginity in the deer woods, or have your druthers on risking a scratch?:nightmare:

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That surely looks like a showpiece to me!

Are you going to help it loose its virginity in the deer woods, or have your druthers on risking a scratch?:nightmare:

It was supposed to be ready for last Oct early season. Had a major (to me) oops and took a while to figure a work around that would satisfy me as being the best I was going to be able to do and look ok. Then it took a while due to hunting seasons.

I try to start in Jan and be done by Mid July. Gives me time to tweek and get sighted in for Oct. Ended up taking #1 (a 45 cal Bedford style) out in Oct but no shots. Number 1 and 2 (50 cal Bedford style) have both scored (#2 twice so far). Number 3 here will be ready for next Oct. If I build them, I expect them to earn their keep and bring home meat.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
#3 is a piece you can be super proud of on appearance alone!

I am reallylooking forward to seeing the first harvest!!!!

( Don,t want this to get around, but I just might be a little jealous)

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
#3 is a piece you can be super proud of on appearance alone!

I am reallylooking forward to seeing the first harvest!!!!

( Don,t want this to get around, but I just might be a little jealous)

As long as you stay at least 3 feet away and don't look too close, won't see all the mistakes. Pro's will spot them from 15 feet away haha. Definitely will be able to tell it's a "home built huntin' gun" though and not a show piece haha. Each one I do, I learn more.

Start the next one in a few months. Will be my "pimp daddy squirrel rifle". 36 cal W. PA inspired rifle with an Armstrong stock as the base. Will have a good many inlays and done in German Silver. Inlays alone will take a looong time. Still deciding on what W.PA builder I want to follow but have 2-3 ideas from Westmoreland and Allegheny Co. Also kind of thinking making it a caplock since just a tree rat gun

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
That 36 could easily double as a groundhog gun. Something else I,ve considered but never went through with, unfortunately.

As for a three foot show gun? Not in my book. From that which I have had the privlege to observe you do exceptional work. Don,t let anyone consider otherwise.:triumphant:

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
blackpowder, like flintlock hunter said, hope to also use as a groundhog rifle too. kind of a compromise between my 45 and a 32. May do in capgun just because I do not have one. Have not decided though. Just a thought. Have a couple months before I decide

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Wow! Beautiful wood. You did great work. Good luck with it.

Reactions: flintlock hunter
1 - 20 of 38 Posts