The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started flintlock hunting when i was 16 i believe...now about to turn 26...ive been wanting a rocklock buck ever since...usually didnt have a buck tag left or didnt get the chance...

This season has been amazing for me...i hunted hard through archery and rifle...saw more bucks than i can count...i was hunting a few bigguns and passed countless bucks...

Rifle season ended and i was still holding on to my tag...the bigguns i was after evaded us for the most part..i didnt care..i was happy..i had a banner season...

Spent the holidays at the girlfriends in Michigan and got home Thursday...hunted the area yesterday and saw a few doe...buddies seen a good buck there new years day so i was looking for him...

Today we rounded up a small crew...7 of us...we pushed that area and i was sitting where that buck snuck out days prior...4-6 doe came...then POW! Buddy shot a doe...8-10 more came...no buck...

Hope was fading and then i saw horns cresting the hill! 3 up top no trouble so i got the gun up and cracked the hammer back...he was running broadside and moving good...i couldnt shoot as he was crested on the knoll and i.knew my "dogs" were on the far hill behind him...low i couldnt shoot because a moron (me) parked the truck there...i needed him to slow down and come towards me or get past me and stop...

It all worked out..for whatever reason he started angling towards me...i knew he was going to spot me and he wanted to go between me and the truck...still moving too fast for comfort...i set the hair trigger and that was all it took for him to break stride and he landed and locked both front legs to bolt...too bad i had my sights on his front shoulder already...i touched her off...he turned around.and ran back towards the pushers...he looked hit hard and his front shoulder was loose..i knew i just killed my first buck with a flintlock!

I reloaded and snuck to point of impact and found hair right away and a drop of.blood...but that was it...my heart sank....then i looked down the hill where he ran and i could see blood sprayed out on the snow!! Beautiful sight!

I tracked 70 yards or so and saw one of my "dogs" standing there looking across a side ditch...he told me to come over slow and quiet...i could see he was on the blood trail and it was heavier...

I got to him and looked across and there he laid...blood everywhere..he couldn't make it up the hillside...head still up but wobbly...i told my buddy to plug his ears i wasnt waiting or having him jump up and disappear..i put a 2nd in him...he flopped over...i reloaded and walked up...he STILL wanted to go!!! I put a 3rd in him and he was done...

First round was clearly a lung hit...sprayed blood..blood out the mouth and nose...no idea how he was still alive after a few minutes...guessing only 1 lung...he was going to die but i wont watch an animal die if i can speed up the process i will...

50cal TC Hawken...70gr 3fg and a buffalo ballet

Switched from round balls to the ballets last year....i like them better...they penetrate better and dont seem to "bounce around". But both went 100yds or so with lung hits....just dont get that shock and fragmentation and trauma you get from a centerfire jackets bullet or the cutting effect of a broadhead...still deadly...but gotta be prepared to track em if they dont drop...i was surprise d my buck didnt drop...the near side shoulder was busted hard...i knew that as he ran away....

I am fired up...great day for us....and i finally got a rocklock buck!

Still have doe tags...not sure if/how hard i will hunt to try to fill one...

Good luck to all still hunting! Remember it can happen at any second! And congrats to all that have had a successful season!

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanx guys!!!

Wingbone, i was torn...he almost came to your place...he'd look nice next to my first bow kill you did for me...but decided on doing the skull...i'd need a new cape if i had him mounted...he had a nice gash in his nose from his death run and a barbwire fence under the snow on the way out did the neck and brisket real nice...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts