The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I went out with a buddy hunting birds. We did ok, had two birds up and killed one. But the highlight of my day was coming home and grabbing the pup. Took him out close to the house and had four rabbits up in about 2 1/2 hrs. Got one! First rabbit of the year for me. He lost the other three rabbits after a few decent chases. Not sure what happened, but as always glad to be out with my pup!

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Nothing like hunting rabbits behind a couple of howling beagles...Razed them for 17yrs ..had a few good gun dogs and 1 field champ and shot lots of rabbits over them.
Perhaps your pup had the rabbits hole up on him?..Good Luck with him ,he looks good in your pic.....

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He has been exceptional this training season. I've been extremely busy with work so this is really the first he's been out since the season started pretty much. I wish I had room for at least two more, but that won't be until next year. I can't wait!

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
If you can,you should join your nearest Beagle Club.They are a lot of fun,and when the time comes to get another one you can get a good gun dog from a club member and train him there.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've tried, but every one refuses me because my dog is, unfortunately, a mutt. Yep, beagle / basset hound. Great for rabbits, bad for getting into clubs.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Yes, that would pose a problem..perhaps next year if you get another.....Good Luck....

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
psychobeagle12 said:
I've tried, but every one refuses me because my dog is, unfortunately, a mutt. Yep, beagle / basset hound. Great for rabbits, bad for getting into clubs.
I'm not sure about the clubs in your area, but some will make an exception for young, strong, new blood. ;-)

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lol I don't think he's THAT good... but it's worth a try I suppose

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
psychobeagle12 said:
Lol I don't think he's THAT good... but it's worth a try I suppose
I was talking about you...Lol

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ah... different story. But I don't think I'M that good either!!!

·
Registered
1,361 Posts

Where's the after hunt photo?

Glad to hear you made it out!

Will be tough finding a club with a non-registered dog.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a small almost-after-hunt video but I didn't get it edited yet. When I do I'll post it. Just the last part of him tracking to the dead rabbit, but still cool.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Cool how old is the pup? I had my two out today and it was a nice walk in the woods with nothing to show except some coco puffs they keep finding. one is 4 months and the other is 3.5 months. Waugh!

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I call him a pup, but he is five lol. Coco puffs, in the woods? I didn't know they grew on bushes...

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Yeah psycho they're good, try one next time your out...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts