The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned some ground for years with the idea of eventually putting a small cabin on it. Well the stars finally aligned and its happening. It's been slow going as it's only been myself and my father working on it for the most part and he's going to be 75 this year.

I've had alot of time to think about this over the years and actually had a material list ready to go. Have been at it for a month now and even had to dig the 15 holes by hand.

Anyway, I thought I'd share and was wondering how your camp had gotten it's name. I've got a few in mind but nothing for sure yet but hopefully by the time it's done I'll have one figured out.

Should have a roof on by next week...

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
This is going to be a fun thread to follow. Looks like a really nice setting you picked for the cabin.

What are the dimensions?

·
Registered
669 Posts
Doing it yourself is extremely rewarding. Best of luck. Our name came from the creek it borders (Lost Creek), so Lost Creek Lodge was very fitting.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Looks like your off to a great start; no doubt your excellent help has a lot to do with that!
Additionally, it's encouraging to see others fulfilling something that has always been a dream of mine (that is, build their own camp).
I hope things continue to progress well. Have fun.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Looks like you're off to a great start; no doubt your excellent help has a lot to do with that!
Additionally, it's encouraging to see others fulfilling something that has always been a dream of mine (that is, build their own camp).
I hope things continue to progress well. Have fun.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Squeaks said:
How about… "By Hand".
Please keep the pics coming!
As Skueaks stated you need to somehow come up with a name that has to do with you hand digging the 15 holes for the posts. That's something you'll never forget. A good conversation piece when people ask about it as well.

·
Registered
964 Posts
We've built two. First one was on a bench about halfway up a nasty hill. We didn't really have a road, we just cut down trees and drove over the stumps. A lot of times we couldn't get our loaded pickups up the hill so we'd have to offload material and carry it up on our backs. After one particularly backbreaking trek up the hill someone remarked, "Man, that hill's a killer!" From that day forward our place was known as "Killer Hill Kamp". Second one we built was at the bottom of the hill but still became known as "Killer Hill II". Sold the first one back in the mid 80's and the second just this spring. I miss having a cabin!
Good luck with yours. They're great memory makers!!

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Neat ideas! Thanks all! I didn't think there would be that much interest in this. I will surely keep you updated. I plan on having a roof on in a week or so...

To answer a couple questions.

The dimensions are 20 x 24 with a 8 foot front porch and eventually a 8 foot deck off the back. I'm making my own rafters so it will be open upstairs and will continue over the front porch making the upstairs 20 x 32. The pitch is close to a 10 / 12 so I will have about 8 ft of clearance in the center. I made it high enough in the back that I can pull a Polaris ranger under it.

I'm not sure of the creeks name as I've seen a couple different ones listed on various maps. It runs into buck creek.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts