The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are a few pics of the last project before trout season and Hog riding season begins! I delivered my last horn project to my camp neighbor and looked at the horns I had in the box. I liked the colors of this one but had some trouble deciding on a theme. I decided to use a phrase that was used many times on horns from "back in the day" and add some personal stuff to the back panel. The boar will be joined by a bear, a buck and a fallow deer eventually. I picked these animals to signify the game I have taken with my flinter. Each will have a year scrimmed beneath it denoting the year in which it was taken. I am sketching them from the mounts I have in my gameroom. Not being an artist this has become the most trying part of the process. It is not finished yet. I will be adding a cherry or oak plug, dying the neck black (tonight's project) and fashioning a plug from either deer antler or elk antler. The strap will be braided from 2 colors of leather, fastened with a staple on the plug and a ring of some sort through the black leather turk's head knot you see in the pictures.

side note: that silly knot took 6hrs to tie using a knot tying book. I guess in addition to not being an artist...I'm not much of a sailor either!!

·
Banned
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alpinbogen said:
Looks great! I like the playing card motif around the border.
I have to laugh about the "playing card motif"... I originally drew it on paper and it was larger. There was more detail in each square and that completely irradicated the "playing card or dice look". I had no intention of it looking like dice or cards but it is too hard to remove it and start again!! Lol!

·
Banned
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OKay..progress has been slow. I hated the "playing card motif/ dice border" so after 10+ hours of work it was eliminated. I added this border.

I have the boar, fallow deer, buck, bear and antelope all on now. These represent each species I have taken with my flinter. I have the plug reeady to fit now and hope to get on that during the downtime of flinter season.

·
Banned
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Made some progress now that the season is over and I'm back to work.

Had a few ideas about how to attach the strap and wanted to try something different. I decided on deer antler with a "key" end. I made the first one too long and the key foot was too short so there was way too much end play. That mistake took about 2 hrs. to make. The second one was a bit easier to make since I made most of my mistakes on the first one.

Yes, the blemishes you see on the end cap are 2 more mistakes.
I usually drill through the horn and ruin it while making the spout...this time I drilled through the walnut end cap when trying to pin it in.
If it were not for myself I would have started over but it's mine and I will get over it.....eventually....maybe.

I will tie a "turks head" knot (similiar to the black one at the spout end on the horn) around the antler and attach the strap there. Depending on what's on the tube, I may get the strap done tonight!

drilled the hole and cut a "keyway"

the 2 plugs. The shorter is the one used

in place with a leather gasket

overall view

1 - 12 of 12 Posts