The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
20,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Much like TDM experienced, finding fishable water for Saturday was a bit tricky. I was forced to abandon my best laid plan from Friday evening when more rain fell overnight. I was bummed about that as I was really excited to fish that particular creek. 'It happens' however so at 4am I found myself making a new plan at the kitchen table. I ended up selecting a stream that would provide me with a lot of other options if worse came to worse when I arrived. I didn't have the luxury of worrying about 'already been fished' water so I just tossed that out of my mind and hit the road.

I was certainly glad I chose how I did as the water was still much too high when I arrived streamside. I was a bit bummed but shot to option B. I wasn't overly excited about stream #2 but when I got there sometime later it was in better shape although still higher than I would have liked it. I laced up and got started anyhow.

The spot I started at is a fairly popular spot but I caught a wild brown and stocked rainbow in the first minute and things were looking up.

That pace was never going to continue though and my gut told me so. It ended up being a complete 'pry-fest' as I patiently and methodically worked the water. The fishing was anything but fast and anything but easy. It was downright tough. At one point the sunglare was so bad that even with my shades on I couldn't see anything. It was like fishing with my eyes closed and I went several hundred yards without even really knowing what I was casting too. Needles to say I caught nothing over stretches like that. The action was acceptable for the first couple of hours but then really petered out as the sun got high in the sky to the point that I couldn't get to my bike fast enough. I really felt like it was time to exit stage right and head to a 3rd stream. At that point I had caught 52 trout and didn't have a great feeling about how the rest of the day was going to pan out. I was there to fish though so fish I was going to do.

As I rolled the truck into stream #3 I saw that it too was pretty high.

I figured that I would just sample the stream before I fully committed to dropping the bike off. I hopped in at my usual hop-out spot and let out a few casts. I was immediately kicking myself for not started there as the trout were hammering each retreive. My hopes were high for the action I'd been looking for. I literally ran back to the truck and hopped on my bike and road downstream a mile. I jumped in with my spirits renewed but immediately knew that things weren't in my favor. First the stream was very exposed to one of the brightest suns I ever recall seeing. It seems like every trout was short striking and I was losing everything. It got so bad that i eventually felt like every trout I hooked was going to get off....and it seemed that way. The fishing was pretty average to begin with so every fish I lost was really frustating and it peak when a lost a good 15-16" rainbow. I'd fished hard for 4 straight days, a lot of them battling mother nature tooth and nail, so I was tired and it was time to just sit down for a second so I grabbed a rock, some shade, and eat a 'payday' bar. The shade felt good and I relaxed, settled down, and got back to it. The trout continued to come at a workmenlike pace.

I enjoy fishing bigger streams but they can be a challenge when the water is elevated.

I finally made it back to the truck and although it was about time to leave I though 'those two pools were so good to start I wonder what's upstream'. So walked up to the next pool above the truck. I caught a little wild brown and though maybe just maybe I'd finally found what I was looking for on the day. At first the habitat was really bad but then it got really good and all of a sudden I really started to catch some fish (and lose a LOT more)

I came to what looked to be a very promising spot and made a cast that was struck before I even started the retreive. I immediately knew I was into a big fish and adjusted my drag. The fished surfaced and it was very large wild brown. I had that sickening feeling and just soften spoke out loud "please dont lose it". It battled like an ox but I was overjoyed when I slid the brown into my hand. At 19" it was a monster wild brown by SWPA standards.

I was overjoyed and it really made the entire day and trip for that matter. I didn't wanna leave at that point but i needed to if I wanted to get on the road headed back east. For the days I caught and released 103 trout making it a 100+ sweet for the 4 days. Over that time I caught and releases over 550 trout.

I always look forward to it and even though it can take some effort at times to make the trout cooperate it's good to see some of those places every now and again to refresh myself on where I came from and where I learned about what I do. I'm already looking forward to my next trip back into town.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Great way to end the trip. Great stream shots and trout pics? That 19 inch wild brown is really nice! Great trip!

·
20,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya man. Search 'joby' tripod. Small compact and made just for iPhones/droids. Pretty rugged lite bigger too.

·
20,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Then you gotta download a timer camera app. Sometimes its not a smooth process trying to get the fish to cooperate during the countdown but I usually snap a quick hand shot first to get that out of the way just in case the big fish makes an escape before I get the good shot. The fish is always in the water so I never feel real bad about it taking a while to set everything up. It takes some getting used to but as long as the fish is submerged in the current there's no harm being done to it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts