The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
First off if you look at my post in years prior I had no problem at all with a license fee increase.
I even touted it.
But one thing you didn't answer Dick was why did the PGC go silent on this issue after the Audit?
No more numbers and data just explain to me if it is needed so much then why has it gone on
the back burner and not even been mentioned recently?

·
Registered
123 Posts
the only question i have are where are allthe traditionalists at......extra days to hunt in archery and nobody complaining ....wow........
I'm a "traditionalist". I traditionally hunt every day of every season until I'm out of tags. The dates aren't traditionally part of that tradition. lol

·
Registered
510 Posts
Casey,
Thanks for the post.

To those complaining about the concurrent rifle season in their WMU. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it said something about concurrent rifle seasons were relegated to the CWD areas and SRA's?

The rest of the state continues with the split season.

I would have preferred a concurrent rifle season in the units I hunt but, it is what it is. The voice of complaint was heard.

The expansion of the bow bear and regular bow deer seasons caught me off guard but it was a pleasant surprise.

Plan on taking advantage of the Sunday hunting and hopeful friends and family can join in on the fun.

Overall, I'm pleased with the expanded opportunities.

Happy Easter and stay healthy!

·
Super Moderator
13,646 Posts
First off if you look at my post in years prior I had no problem at all with a license fee increase.
I even touted it.
But one thing you didn't answer Dick was why did the PGC go silent on this issue after the Audit?
No more numbers and data just explain to me if it is needed so much then why has it gone on
the back burner and not even been mentioned recently?
If you had paid attention when the Auditor General came out with his report you would have you have known that the Game Commission not only rebutted much of what the report implied but also explained why there was an reserve.

As for why they have stopped talking about the need for a license increase all you have to figure out is what good would it do them after the Auditor General said they didn't need one until they spent down the reserve.

So they have cut programs, some of which are detrimental to the future of our wildlife resources and hunter interests, while spending down the reserve. The only saving grace has been the gas royalties have kept them going the past few years. But, I wouldn't expect that to last into the long term.

Then when the reserve is gone and the gas royalties aren't enough to fund the agency they can become a general fund agency with a Governor appointed Secretary instead of a Commission guiding their direction. Then all of the money will go into the state coffers to balance the state budget or line the pork pockets of every Legislator instead of being spent to manage our wildlife resources.

Which incidentally was what the Auditor General's report was intended to create as it's ultimate goal in the first place.

It is just a shame that the majority of the sportsmen across this Commonwealth either aren't perceptive enough to ever see the true and bigger picture of things or are just too uninvolved to care.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
525 Posts
I didn't read all the comments, so this question may have been asked before. Seeing how the rabbit season goes through till 27 November, can small game be hunted on the Sundays for Bear and Deer? Does not mention anything about it, it just states the Sunday date for Bear and the Sunday date for Deer. If not, why not?

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
Yes, it's called Eyes and Sightings and Deer sign.
Look at it this way, the PGC cried poor mouth for the longest time requesting a license cost increase, then comes along the
Audit showing no need for it. whether you agree or disagree with the Audit findings don't you think it's
a little Odd that we haven't heard a Peep from the GC about an increase since then.
The Moral of the story here is that just because a Governing body say's one thing doesn't necessarily make it true.
Like the old saying Don't #### down my neck and tell me it's raining.:smile2:
It just amazes me, what makes the PGC any different than any other State or Federal governing body where scandals have been uncovered.
It's like some out there just can't even Fathom the possibility of wrong doing.
I would love to be a Fly on the wall at the PGC headquarters.
What part of 2G do you hunt? I hunt the SE quadrant, and deer numbers are good. Not the ridiculously dangerous numbers of the 60s and 70s that lead to the eventual collapse of numbers across the entire area covered by 2G today....but very good.

2G could probably benefit from being cleaved in half along a N/S axis. I have a feeling the number of deer and conditions in the Eastern and Western half vary enough to warrant a split. The unit covers a large area. I don't get to the western part of the unit as much anymore, so I can't say with 100% certainty.

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
What part of 2G do you hunt? I hunt the SE quadrant, and deer numbers are good. Not the ridiculously dangerous numbers of the 60s and 70s that lead to the eventual collapse of numbers across the entire area covered by 2G today....but very good.

2G could probably benefit from being cleaved in half along a N/S axis. I have a feeling the number of deer and conditions in the Eastern and Western half vary enough to warrant a split. The unit covers a large area. I don't get to the western part of the unit as much anymore, so I can't say with 100% certainty.
I do agree the WMU is to large. The deer numbers seem to be rebounding somewhat.
My whole point was I don't see an increase in Dog tags was needed. Just my opinion. I'm friendly with quite a few locals
in the area and they have the same opinion, so they get more time in the woods and driving the area than I do.

·
Registered
226 Posts
So you think the 1000 license increase in 2G, or any other unit, was about money instead of sound deer and habitat management principles and practices?

Do you really think the Game Commission thought they needed to increase the allocation of unit 2G so they would have enough money to run the agency for all of another 27 minutes even entered their thoughts?

The entire amount of money if all of the antlerless licenses allocated for the entire state were sold, which they never are, it would fund the Game Commission operations for all of about 17 days.

The bottom line is that money isn't even a thought in the decisions concerning antlerless license allocations.

Dick Bodenhorn
I don't believe for one second that money isn't a thought in ALL of their decisions.

·
Registered
9,669 Posts
confused

Casey,
Thanks for the post.

To those complaining about the concurrent rifle season in their WMU. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it said something about concurrent rifle seasons were relegated to the CWD areas and SRA's?

The rest of the state continues with the split season.

I would have preferred a concurrent rifle season in the units I hunt but, it is what it is. The voice of complaint was heard.

The expansion of the bow bear and regular bow deer seasons caught me off guard but it was a pleasant surprise.

Plan on taking advantage of the Sunday hunting and hopeful friends and family can join in on the fun.

Overall, I'm pleased with the expanded opportunities.

Happy Easter and stay healthy!

I must be missing something. I live in 4A (CWD2) and on the Game Commission site one place says concurrent for the first week, and in another spot it lists my WMU as non-concurrent. Which is it, and can someone show me the true rule?

·
Super Moderator
13,646 Posts
I didn't read all the comments, so this question may have been asked before. Seeing how the rabbit season goes through till 27 November, can small game be hunted on the Sundays for Bear and Deer? Does not mention anything about it, it just states the Sunday date for Bear and the Sunday date for Deer. If not, why not?
Nope, this year the Sundays are species specific without small game hunting included.

It is that way for this year at least due to a backroom deal with the Farm Bureau, some members of the State Legislature and the Game Commission.

Hopefully it will be corrected to include small game and other species in future years.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Did the PGC remove antler restrictions for seniors? Or are they still just talking about it?

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Did the PGC remove antler restrictions for seniors? Or are they still just talking about it?
Restrictions will stay the same for 20-21 season,.....I was hoping they would wave the restrictions for seniors and let them shoot any buck they choose....Or even raise the age up to 75 and over....

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Restrictions will stay the same for 20-21 season,.....I was hoping they would wave the restrictions for seniors and let them shoot any buck they choose....Or even raise the age up to 75 and over....

LOL, ain't too many 75 year old hunters out there I think. I'm 72 and am reaching the end of the road.

·
Super Moderator
13,646 Posts
I am a senior and in my opinion they should only wave the antler restrictions for seniors if they have never killed an antlered deer before.

Us seniors have every day of the season to hunt. Is shooting a spike buck really that important to them? Is it so they can just get out and get one so they can get out of the woods as quickly as possible? If it is I don't understand why they even bother hunting.

I guess I just don't get it. But then I enjoy hunting instead of just going out to kill something to get it over with.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Dick, I believe a nice buck to some seniors is in the eye of the beholder, those who have not had the opportunity as some of us had to shoot multiple bucks in a lifetime or maybe due to health issues or cold weather and just don`t get out but maybe once or twice a season for a few hours at most, should be able to make that choice.

I myself at 72 would not want to shoot a buck with less than 8pts as I do have plenty of time to get out there and `I`m in good health also, and I do hunt in a 3up SRA as well. If a young mentored hunter as young as 6 or 7 can shoot any buck for the first 9 or 10 years of their hunting life, I believe a senior hunter should be able to do the same in the last 9 or 10 years of their hunting lives as well.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts