·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Makes more sense than a battery.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
<span style="font-style: italic">
One problem many potential buyers have with a vehicle powered by natural gas is the range anxiety that’s oh-so-familiar to electric car buyers. Looking to quell that anxiety, GM has just announced that its 2013 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD and GMC Sierra 2500 HD models will now be available with a bi-fuel system that allows the trucks to operate seamlessly on either compressed natural gas (CNG), or conventional gasoline.

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/2013-chevy-sil...l#ixzz1oNr0qwQh</span>

So what?

I started the current job in 1999. We had pick-up trucks that did that then. Last truck was turned in about 1.5 years ago.

The truck worked fine and you could be going down the road and flip the switch. No hic-up's or power loss - nothing. The technology is old, the consumer interest is new.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
The key to NG powered pick ups will be the infrastructer of places to fill them up. I know of one gas station in our area in the process of putting a fueling depot in for NG.

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
I believe there is a kit/pump station that you can put in your garage. If you have a well on your property and have more free gas allotted to you than you can use this would be a great investment.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Wonder how natural gas is going to be taxed if it is for highway use?

Wonder if anyone will every put something like this together with a hybrid? I would think it would be a big selling point as well.

·
Registered
24,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
they're way ahead of you !
Pa State Motyor fuels tax..

The Alternative Fuels Tax applies to any fuel not taxable as liquid fuels or fuels, including natural gas, compressed natural gas, liquid propane gas, liquified petroleum gas, alcohols, gasoline-alcohol mixtures containing at least 85 percent alcohol by volume, hydrogen and electricity. For taxation, each alternative fuel is converted to a gasoline gallon equivalent, and the tax rate applied to the gasoline gallon equivalent equals the current gas tax

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
The technology is old, the consumer interest is new.
Interest has always been there the cost and availability of fuel has held it back. Fleets with access have been running on this for year like you said. But now you maybe able to have a fuel point right at home in a short time and the production cost will go down as the demand picks up. Waugh!

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
The auto industry has a big PR issue to resolve as well. That being the fear many will have of going up in flames in even a minor accident. NG is compressed at high pressures in this application. The industry is going to have to ensure - fully, that the vehicles are safe for over the road.

Second, the mileage per tank is going to have to increase - a lot. At least as to what I am familiar with. That said, even if this fuel is used for local travel and local delivery / business, it will be a huge gain.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I don't think exploding cars is going to be much of an issue unless they bring back the pinto.

I'm wondering more about the long term supply of NG. Recent studies have claimed at current consumption levels an 11 year supply - 21 if you factor in future technology allowing more to be extracted. (Chesapeake's recent study parrots this) If you add a lot of cars/trucks into the mix wouldn't that dramatically increase current consumption rates in effect slashing the current reserve estimates?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
They just can't help themselves!

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
The bus system in State College and surrounding areas uses all natural gas powered buses. That has been the case for quite a few years now, since before the Marcellus boom.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Palm Springs has had CNG bus service for at least 10 years. Waugh!

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
I rode in some taxis in Brittish Columbia that ran on natural gas more than ten year ago. Without seeing the sticker on the windshield, I'd have never known it.

·
Registered
25,491 Posts
Alternative motor fuels have been around for generations.

Farm tractors powered by LP gas, were once fairly common in some parts of the country, also multi-fuel engines that started on gasoline, switched to kero.

Recall seeing an LP powered Checker Cab when I was a kid, either in Cincinnati or Milwaukee, circa the early 1960s. Trunk (LP tank location) didn't have enough room, so some of the luggage went in the back seat area.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts