The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I was in my stand yesterday morning, at around 7:30 or so I see a deer comming through the thick laurels. it appeared to be a small deer, but I got ready in case he/she wasn't alone...when I could finally see it was a small 3up six pt...no brow tines...legal..but not old enough, the little guy must have been exhausted, he walks past me and beds down in a small clearing about 25yds from me...he stayed there for about 20 or 30 min. He finally stands up and looks in my direction. a momma and her twins came up the hill behind me. The little six began harassing momma...then this guy shows up and stares him down...at that time they were to my left and behind me...i'm sitting down...left handed...shooting a crossbow...so all I could do is enjoy the show...I thought too bad he only has one side, then momma runs past me and takes the big guy with her...I thought oh well the decision to shoot or not was made for me. I don't know why...maybe because her kids were still behind me, but she came running back to my right and the big guy stopped in the clearing where the other buck laid down and offered me a 25yd broadside shot that I couldn't refuse...from my POV it looked like the lighted bolt hit lung and heart...when he started running towards a small but steep ravine that I would have a difficult time getting him out of... I thought oh no...but fortunately he only made it about 30yds before going down.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys...I added a few pics...mostly just playing with downloading pics from my new smart phone.:smile2:

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Thanks for the story and pictures. Many years past I killed a similar buck with very odd antlers. I did not keep the antlers but many times I wished I had. You may want to keep them.

Reactions: flintlock hunter

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the story and pictures. Many years past I killed a similar buck with very odd antlers. I did not keep the antlers but many times I wished I had. You may want to keep them.
Thanks for the advice... I'm already planning a skull mount...I did two others so far, and I'm curious to see what happened to the right side.

·
Registered
19,581 Posts
Awesome. Congrats to you and thanks for sharing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts