The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a specific law or PGC regulation against filing down the point of a full metal jacket in order for it to be considered a soft point for hunting purposes?

Another question would be; How much do you have to file off of the tips in order for it to be considered a soft point, as long lead is showing?

And lastly, how effective would a filed down FMJ be at expansion [and could you get consistant flight characteristics from such a round]? Maybe drill them so they are hollow points as well?

I know this is almost a non issue but someone asked me this question and i couldn't answer it and havn't had a chance to talk to my local PGC about it due to the holidays. I know its much easier to just go out and buy a box of soft points and/or hollow points but it is a good question i think and i havn't found a topic on this, so here it is.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Don't do it, most military FMJ's have an open base with the lead core exposed. You stand the chance of blowing the core out leaving the jacket stuck in the bore.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have Golden Tiger FMJBT's. Never seen the tail end of the bullets themselves. Plus i don't even know what kind of ammo my buddy would be using if he were to do this. Guess i could pull the bullet out of one of my cartidges and look, but wasting ammo at these prices! lol

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
splurge and buy the correct ammo! even with the tip filed off FMJ's have a thicker jacket and I'm not sure it would expand anyway.

who thinks of this stuff? LOL

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You are exactly right! LOL. I told him the same thing. I just bought a box of soft points and told him to do so also. Keep the fmj's for the zombies! lol

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
Even if it could be done, you could never get it filed evenly enough to be ANY kind of accurate. Sounds like you gave him the best advice.

·
Administrator
29,832 Posts
I know of an incident where a young man got ahold of some surplus ammo and wanted to get the powder out to make his own fireworks.
He knew nothing about bullet pullers and such, just clamped a cartridge in a vise and went at it with a hacksaw.
He learned that day that even just a few strokes of a hacksaw could create enough heat through friction to ignite the powder.
He also learned that a well seated bullet has no reason to move when an unchambered round goes off and that instead, the explosion will take the path of least resistance right through the relatively soft brass.
Buy ammo or obtain the proper tools to remove the bullets and to replace them with your bullet of choice. Dont risk your vision.

·
Registered
11,635 Posts
quackmaster4 said:
Even if it could be done, you could never get it filed evenly enough to be ANY kind of accurate.
It can be done and the accuracy of a FMJ military round at 100 or 200 yards (the only ranges I shot) is the same filed or not filed. Of course most FMJ military ammo is not accurate unless it is match ammo.

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
i'm not recomending doing it by any means but i have seen it done and they were acurate enough and killed deer.
myself, i'll spend the money.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
The law says bullets used to hunt deer must be designed to expand on impact. Taking the end off a FMJ does not suddenly mean it is now designed to expand, they are not legal to use on big game.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Some thoughts. I've done this when I was young and money was tight. Some bullets called FMJ are really aromor peircing and have a cylindrical steel core, they would never expand and sawing would be tough.

Most FMJ can have the cut off the tip to expose lead. I did this with bulk surplus bullets then reloaded them in the 1950s. I used a jig I made and a wheel grinder. I stress these were NOT load roounds, only bullets that were later reloaded. I'd not generate heat or saw virbation on a loaded round.

The ones I did, expanded in soft mud, but were not really good in game. The jacket is heaver than a soft point and therefor doesn't peal back in meat(I suspect).

With the cost of ammo today and gas, not sure the value in this.

I have a drill press mounted drill/hollowpoint tool I use for making softnose 375 rifle bullets expand better when fired from my pistol; and hollow pointing would also be an option for FMJ. I've never hollowpointed mil FMJ.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
i really don't think thats a good idea,first of all accuracy would be poor at best and what happens if the jacket seperates apon detonation,you will have a copper mine stuck in your barrel

1 - 13 of 13 Posts