The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it figures as soon as the seed for my fall plot comes in it would finally stop raining. I was planning on getting it in this weekend a little earlier than usual but not much rain in the forecast so I think I’ll hold off. My luck we will have a drought now...

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ve got some clover seed to overseed my existing clover “patch”. The remainder of the areas will be seeded with dwarf Essex rape.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I've had good success planting my brassica around the last weekend of July if there is good soil moisture or a good chance of rain in the forecast. If you put them in too early they will mature too early in the season and lose their attractiveness

·
Registered
12,256 Posts
Still plenty of time. The ground is starting to get pretty dry.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I threw it down over the weekend. I saw they forecasted a good chance of storms/rain for most of the week, so I figured may as well go for it. Time will tell...I’ll update with some pics in a few weeks.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
I agree with Ron, I would wait to early sept. for turnips and rape. Also remember our seasons are not like they used to be. Sept. and Oct. stays warmer then ever. And speaking as a Landscaper don't trust the weather forecast. :smile2: You think its tough with this wet year for food plots, try and make your bread and butter in a year like this. :smile2:

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I had great success with turnips when I planted mid August.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
If you go really early, there is a chance they mature and start to rot before winter. Some guys go as early as mid-July....we usually shoot for end of July or beginning of August.

·
Registered
103 Posts
We are in the northern tier so we normally plant brassicas (turnips, radishes and rape) toward the end of July as we sometimes get a heavy frost in mid September. This year we planted a little early, July 14th, because of of July schedule and soil conditions. I am glad we got them in because with all this rain it is going to take some time to dry out. PA northern tier is way different than most of PA. As was previously mentioned 60 to 90 days before average first frost is a good rule of thumb. If you plant to early the bulbs could over mature and not be as attractive to deer. Plant to late and they won't have time to produce enough forage/tonage of bulbs which is what they hammer in the cold months.

·
Registered
409 Posts
As blacktail said 60 days before the possibility of frost is a good plan for brassica. Usually mid Sept. for my area, broadcasted my seed July 20th ahead of the anticipated week of rain. We got 5 inches, but was up north on the 27th and had good germination and not much washing of the seed on my sloped plots so all is good. Always try and catch some approaching rain if you can

1 - 14 of 14 Posts