The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's getting harder and harder to drag deer out of the Potter County mountains so I'm going to learn how to quarter/process deer in the field and pack it out. Are there any particular Youtube videos you may have found more helpful than others? Or any tips from personal experience?

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Been packing them out for a very long time, can't remember the last time I gutted a deer. Because of the normal heavy clothes I don't want to carry 70+ pounds of meat, a scoped rifle, and whatever gear in a single trip so I make 2 trips. You'd be looking at more like 80+lb of a big deer if you bring out the skull intact with the cape for mounting. So I shoot, tag, and walk out. Drop off gun, bino, snacks, whatever... Get rid of all the insulated clothes, put on light windbreaker, light hat, light hiking boots, light gloves, regular pair of work pants. You certainly could use a pack and I have a couple freighter frame packs I use for bigger animals but here I just use 2 buckets, why, I don't know, it just works for me. I like being able to walk and set them down, pick them back up again and walk. Resting under a heavy pack, getting it off and on several times isn't always easy. So I make the 2nd trip back in with 2 buckets in hand.

In the buckets I have a few plastic bags for the heart/liver, 2 knives a lightweight havalon for most everything and a small regular blade knife for getting in the joints. But really the havalon can do it all. A couple pair of latex type gloves the black nitrile are the best for me. And a packable bone saw to cut off the lower legs, tail, head, and to get inside the ribcage to access heart, liver, and tenderloins without gutting or sticking my arms up inside. A knife can be used for all of this but the saw is so light to carry and easy to use. Optional is a small 5x7 tarp if there is no snow to set the meat on, but you can just as easily just put it right in the buckets or over some bows on the ground. I like to spread them out to cool as I finish cutting the deer. In a rush like if it is dark, raining, or very cold I can do it in about 30 min., but I prefer to take it easy and that is more like 45 min. May or may not cape the skull and cut the skull plate off, depends on time, conditions, and just preference. I don't do european mounts so that would be a consideration in your decision.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Heres a Game Commission video about in the field deboning.
It’s pretty much what I do. A 1 1/4 mile drag up the creek bottom to the road is a real drag🙄.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts