The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
will someone post a pic of the fiddleheads that are good to eat i would like to try them i havent had them yet.

·
Registered
626 Posts
THE EDIBLE FIDDLEHEADS OARE THE YOUNG SHOOTS OF the ostrich fern which i dont believe grows native around here. they are typicaly to the north in canada. you can find ostrich ferns that are sold in stores but these are cultivated and are not fit for consumption.

·
Registered
36,758 Posts
Fiddleheads do grow in PA., at least in the northern teirs of the state. I found a pace in Potter along the Allegany river where there were hundreds of them growing. They usually grow along rivers or damp areas. The young frond will have a brown paper type husk on it, a sure way of telling them from other no edible ferns. I first found out what Fiddleheads were when I was spring bear hunting in Canada.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I was just out looking for morels today and found fiddle heads I thought they were the correct ones , these had that thin brown paper type covering. I did not know that was a ID , appreciate the info.

·
Registered
274 Posts
been pikin them for years here in Fayette and Greene. they are everywhere right now, we take five onion bags four for morels and one for fiddlers.

·
Registered
768 Posts
ancient indian said:
I was just out looking for morels today and found fiddle heads I thought they were the correct ones , these had that thin brown paper type covering. I did not know that was a ID , appreciate the info.
I don't have a pic to post.That being said the fuzzy,whitish hair fiddle heads are no good.The one's you want are a dark green,waxy look to them.Just pick some this morning.

No morels yet that I can find.To cold yet i'm thinking.

·
Registered
533 Posts
as Dayton boy said ostrich ferns are the major fiddle heads that are consumer. nearly all ferns grow up from fiddle heads that is the immature frond of the plant that will grow and unwind. The only time I have seen ostrich fern plants in the wild was in the Adirondacks in Northern New York. I would really research the edible fiddle heads before consuming any there are ones that are quite nonhazardous to your health if eaten. on the up side ferns are rather easy to identify with some work and a good field guide. best of luck to you.

·
Registered
626 Posts
DIDNT REALIZE THEre where edible ones here in pa. good info you learn somethign new everyday

1 - 9 of 9 Posts