The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Fiberglass posts in 4' length from Tractor Supply
I cut in half to make CR supports
Tape area were holes are drill because of fracturing/splitting.
I drill two holes about 1 1/2" apart when using 11 ga. wire. Holes 2" apart if using 9 ga. wire
I do drill one hole near the bottom end and bend 9 wire. This keeps support from turning/spin out of place.
I do spray paint (tan) most of my supports

IMG_0007.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0009.JPG

IMG_0010.JPG

IMG_0008.JPG

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Looks like they aughta be effective and pretty light weight! Good idea! Thanks for sharing! Only "issue" would be height...say in a situation where the stake doesn't drive as deep..but I guess if you leave the support wire long enough, that's not an issue.

I've been looking for options for supports I can premake...many take up room or add a lot of weight... always an issue for a guy on foot.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
As long as they don't become solidly anchored in the ground when it freezes they will work fine. They have the potential to become an entanglement issue if they freeze in solid. Then they become a kill pole.

I know you know. Just putting it out there for others that want to modify your idea.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
I made supports a few years ago out of tightly twisted #11 wire, welded to a 60D nail, with a fender washer welded to it ( to keep it from spinning).

They carried very well, didn't tangle, drove in easily, stood up in any configuration and did not spin, blended in with everything, and folded flat to the ground with every catch.
For me they were very inexpensive and worked perfectly.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Two guys pm'd me this week and ask how to make these supports. I told them I would post pics here.

'06 says- Only "issue" would be height.
Naw, just bend your support wire up or down to adjust height of cable, like any other wire support.

'17 says- They have the potential to become an entanglement issue if they freeze in solid.
Agree if driven too deep. But so far so good the past few seasons. I like these supports.
'17, I also made the twisted wire support as you posted awhile back. I like them too.
In any event, here's the pictures you guys ask about.

·
Super Moderator
24,058 Posts
How long should the wire be?

·
Registered
9,265 Posts
I use those posts for all kinds of stuff. I haven't done much CR trapping, but I make snare supports from them for beaver. The biggest thing for me has been these clips for 110s that have made my muskrat lines SO much faster.

Sudden Valley Body Grip Clips

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
hippy, try the hagz clips for 110's. works better and don't tangle .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts