The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been hearing some stuff on switching to fiber wads, overshot cards and such for reloading. Anyone doing this type of reloading setup for trap, skeet or hunting? I would like to take a look at it just out of general curiosity to see how the reloading process works, any testing or experience in terms of down range effects on targets. And, naturally, how about cost compared to the plastic shot cup. I now have a MEC 600 Jr and reload 12 ga with plastic shot cups.

·
Registered
10,447 Posts
I do not know anyone who does not use plastic shot cups.

Some steel shot loads call for fiber wads in the base of the plastic shot cup and overshot cards to take up space but that is it.

·
Registered
10,447 Posts
FYI: This months American Rifleman has an article about using fiber wads to reload SG shells.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Shotshell reloading used to be a given powder charge and a shot payload. From there it was up to you to create the correct wad column that would give you the proper crimp. Over powder wad, various fibre wad thickness's to create the height nessary to get the proper crimp. That was it! Suffice it to say that there was lots of leeway!
Modern components give you tighter patterns, softer recoil and easier clean-up (no leading).
Sooo, if you want close range, open patterns.....use fibre. Fibre with a spreader insert is a close range killer! If you want long range capability, go with one piece plastic.
That's the beauty of shotshell reloading! You can load for a specific purpose.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Shotshell reloading used to be a given powder charge and a shot payload. From there it was up to you to create the correct wad column that would give you the proper crimp. Over powder wad, various fibre wad thickness's to create the height nessary to get the proper crimp. That was it! Suffice it to say that there was lots of leeway!
Modern components give you tighter patterns, softer recoil and easier clean-up (no leading).
Sooo, if you want close range, open patterns.....use fibre. Fibre with a spreader insert is a close range killer! If you want long range capability, go with one piece plastic.
That's the beauty of shotshell reloading! You can load for a specific purpose.
Just cut off the wads petals of the plastic wads. You'll get the same effect with a better powder seal and not buying and storing boxes of fiber wads..

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
I use both plastic wads and fiber/cardboard built up wads. I reload clay target loads and hunting loads for use in SxS shotguns. The use of fiber/cardboard will reduce pressures and open the patterns if you that's what you want. You can also use a teflon wrap to act as a shot cup to hold the shot together longer than using just fiber/cardboard. I can pretty much load anything from my .410s through my 10 bores with either style of wad, depending on what I want the gun to do. Ballistic Products and Circle Fly Wads are two sources for more info and products.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
A bag of fiber wads, cardboard nitro cards and, if you want, overshot card, take up little space. You could fit a 250 count bag of each into a cigar box.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts