The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you use fiber optic sights during the flintlock season ? I thought i remember seeing something in the book about " iron sights only " but can't find it now.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Fiber optic sights are ok for the after Christmas flintlock season. Should you choose to wear the same amount of blaze orange as during the early muzzleloader or rifle seasons you can outfit the rock lock with the sighting system of your choice. Should you elect to use the option of the buck (unused) tag as a brown down anywhere in the state, then only iron sights (including fiber optics) are permitted.

·
Registered
19,014 Posts
but fiber optic is not traditional. :)

·
Registered
9,896 Posts
Fiber optic sights are ok for the after Christmas flintlock season. Should you choose to wear the same amount of blaze orange as during the early muzzleloader or rifle seasons you can outfit the rock lock with the sighting system of your choice. Should you elect to use the option of the buck (unused) tag as a brown down anywhere in the state, then only iron sights (including fiber optics) are permitted.

Just to clear that up a bit:

The sentence that I highlighted above in bold only applies if : Hunting in areas that have the Extended Firearms Season in Allegheny, Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery and Philadelphia Counties. If hunting this season in those counties, you can use a firearm of choice, including a scoped muzzleloader regardless of ignition system. You will also need to wear the required FO, and need a valid antlerless license in order to take an antlerless deer.

If hunting anywhere in the state in the Flintlock Season, you must use a flintlock ignition and open sights (fiber optics and peep sights are now permitted), and can use a valid, unused antlered tag for an antlered or antlerless deer.

·
Registered
87 Posts
In addition to an unused buck tag, I have an unused anterless tag. In addition to the use of the buck tag, can I also use the anterless tag in the appropriate WMU?

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
In addition to an unused buck tag, I have an unused anterless tag. In addition to the use of the buck tag, can I also use the anterless tag in the appropriate WMU?
Yes you can use an appropriate antlerless tag in the valid WMU. Unused buck tag can be used statewide on a doe taken with a Flintlock.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I guess the reply was not as clear as I intended. My bad. Thanks for clearing it up a little.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everybody. I am planning on getting one but every reasonable " kit " I've seen has fiber optic sights on it. I would rather go traditional but i don't want to pay alot for a gun I'm only going to use a couple days a year at most ( hopefully not at all ).

·
Registered
19,014 Posts
ask around in the traditional forum to see whats available. the advice you will get there, will be spot on. it sounds like you are a beginner. thats the forum for you.

tons of great info from a ton of great experienced members.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts