The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else use fiber optic sights on their flintlock? I shoot a T/C PA Hunter and I have very good eyesight, but I just can’t get a good comfortable visual on dropping that front iron into the rear saddle, especially when aiming through the grey of the forest. A few guys I know use the fiber optic front sight only and they seem to like it. I’m thinking of making the switch myself and getting her sighted in before the season begins. What is your preference? Front fiber only, full front / rear fiber, or straight iron?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Switched from the iron to all fiber optic and have better view for sure. The view still blocks most deer body but much better than our grandpa's had.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
I added T/C fo to my Renegade. The red front is much thinner than the iron blade it replaces. It was worth the effort to find them and install and re-sight the gun.

I used to loose the front sight even when I painted it yellow. No problems now just drop the red dot between the two green ones on the rear & squeeze.

·
Banned
900 Posts
Love mine. Helped me alot. I since have switched to peeps but still have the F/O on the front sight. I'm color blind so all my F/O are as bright green or yellow as I can find. Kept losing the red front sight when trying to find the target

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I put fiber optic sights on acouple of my flintlocks and they really help me shoot them better, both at tasrgets and at deer. Well worth the effort. I put them on my sons' rifles as well.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Has anyone else had any problem putting their sight on? The fiber optic sight fits in much looser than the original iron sight. It is going to require a shim of some kind to make it tight.

·
Registered
81 Posts
A lot of times sights going into dovetails require fitting. Try taking a small hammer and peening the edges of the dovetail down slightly, then insert the sight, and tap into the dovetail. You could also try taking a punch, and put several dimples into the flat base of the dovetail on the barrel.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
foxhound1 said:
Has anyone else had any problem putting their sight on? The fiber optic sight fits in much looser than the original iron sight. It is going to require a shim of some kind to make it tight.

Give Dixon's shop a call, I am sure they can help you out.
Sounds like an easy fix. 610 756 6271
Hours Hours:
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday
10:00am - 5:00pm & 6:30pm - 9:00pm

Friday, Saturday 10:00am - 5:00pm
Sunday 12:00pm - 5:00pm
Wednesday CLOSED
All Major Holidays CLOSED

·
Registered
656 Posts
foxhound1 said:
Having same problem

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I made some brass shims originally and was going to go that route but ended up talking to the gunsmith about peening the dovetail. This worked fine and he was done in five minutes.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I have a red fiber optic front and a williams peep for the rear. Had my gunsmith mount the peep on the very rear piece that the hooked breech goes into. Works for me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts