The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does everyone on here suggest or use for barrel powder? FF, or FFF? Heard FFF burns a little better and can be more accurate. Also FFF can be used as frizzen powder in a pinch? Thoughts?

"He's settle for a .30, but by God it was a genuine Hawkins"

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Some guns just prefer one over the other and then some will use either just fine. Just test it out and see what it likes the best.

I have one gun that didn't like 3f at all. Then one day I tried the plastic patch from Hornady with some 3f and the dang thing is a tack driver with it. With a cotton patch it wouldn't shoot 3f worth a hoot. Go figure? Cotton patch and 2f it shoots great as well. With muzzleloaders you just have to try stuff and see how it works. It's just handloading in the bore so to speak. I have a couple of barrels that don't care what you stuff down there it will shoot. Have fun.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I use FFF in the pipe in all 3 of my muzzleloaders. 75 gr. in my 54 renegade and 85 in my 50 cal. Hawkins. I shoot PRB in all 3. Never tried fff in the pan, but a buddy of mine swears by it. That way you only carry one powder. I'll stick with FFFF it works for me

·
Registered
217 Posts
All three of my guns use 3f in the pipe and 4f in the pan, no probs at all. My .32 lyman knocks squirrels down at 35 yds all the time with 3f.

·
Registered
153 Posts
In my 54 cal. I us 3F in the barrel and 3F in the pan. Thats what I hunt with and that is what I shoot Competition with also. The biggest advantage to 3F in the pan is it doesn't snot up at quick as 4F.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all. I have a .50 cal T/C Renegade and it shoots pretty well with the FF and FFFF in the pan. I'll try some FFF and see if it gets any more accuracy from it. One thing I am using and want to change is i'm using 100 gr. of powder. thinking I may gain a little more accuracy from dropping to 75 - 85 gr. Thoughts on that?

"He'd settle for a .30, but by God it was a genuine Hawkins"

·
Registered
12,949 Posts
Killin'time said:
Thanks all. I have a .50 cal T/C Renegade and it shoots pretty well with the FF and FFFF in the pan. I'll try some FFF and see if it gets any more accuracy from it. One thing I am using and want to change is i'm using 100 gr. of powder. thinking I may gain a little more accuracy from dropping to 75 - 85 gr. Thoughts on that?

"He'd settle for a .30, but by God it was a genuine Hawkins"
I beleive you will. Their sweet spot on older T/C 1:48 barrels is 70-80 grains with a PRB. If yours is/was 1:66 twist 90-100 should be fine.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
with my Lyman deerstalker 50 cal with the same twist it really likes 80gr FF GOEX .490RB and a blue pillow ticking patch. It took a while to get it, but it was worth it

·
Registered
12,949 Posts
It also seams the consenses is the T/C`s perfer .015 patches and the Lymans .018

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
octagon said:
It also seams the consenses is the T/C`s perfer .015 patches and the Lymans .018
The Lyman probable has deeper rifling. My GPR likes .018 patches. My TVM Leman won't take anything over a .015.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Get a pound of each.You gotta find what it likes to eat.What ever gives the tightest groups along with patch size and ball size.Some of my 50's like FFFg most like FFg.FFFg is no cleaner burning than FFg if you have a good tight patch.Mostly TC like .015 and Lymans like .018-.020.

·
Registered
12,949 Posts
SpiritNugent said:
scott and stalk said:
powder size has nothing to do with the size of the grains
???

Alittle lost on that one Scotty
An equal measure of let`s say FFG and FFFG and the FFFG will have higher pressures and a faster burn rate so it does make a difference.

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
octagon said:
SpiritNugent said:
scott and stalk said:
powder size has nothing to do with the size of the grains
???

Alittle lost on that one Scotty
An equal measure of let`s say FFG and FFFG and the FFFG will have higher pressures and a faster burn rate so it does make a difference.
Yes indeed...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts