The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased some clover and chicory mix. I was wondering what would be a good fertilizer for this. I have read that 0-20-20 would work. I was jut seeing what you guys say. I will put some down when I plant the seed. Also how soon after should I fertilize it again. Should I use the same amount when I planted it. It calls for like 250lb per acre. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
862 Posts
I like to use 19-19-19. It's the best i have fine. But thats just me. and i like to use about 200-250 lbs per acre.

How is the lime on your site???
I would do some liming too.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I've have used a 10-10-10 to grow about everything I have. I think I've even given it to the kids (just a joke!) It seems so light and has little chance of overuse in any soil condition.
I'm also with pheasant on the lime.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
For clover, I like to use 10-20-20. Not a lot of nitrogen, but enough to give the clover a boost in growth.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where is the best places to buy fertilizer by the bags. Im not sure of any places close by that sell it.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Call these people in Shippensburg. The fertilizer I buy in Lancaster County comes from them. They can probably tell you someone in your area of Cumberland County that seels their fertilizer.

Cumberland Valley Co-Op Association‎
908 Mount Rock Road, Shippensburg, PA 17257-7710
(717) 532-2197‎

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I never use 10-10-10. Too much filler. 50 pounds of 19-19-19 is almost twice as much fertilizer in the same weight package.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Correct, but to start clover, a lower nitrogen number may be beneficial in that it may not promote more weed and grass growth so much.

That said, I never used 19-19-19 to start clover. Probably takes off a good bit?

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Get a soil sample kit from your local extension office and send it to PSU to get tested. They'll tell you what to use and you'll be much better off.

·
Registered
535 Posts
pabowhuntR said:
Where is the best places to buy fertilizer by the bags. Im not sure of any places close by that sell it.
CV COOP has it in Shippensburg. I just got 4 bags of Urea for my pasture field yesterday and it was $12 a bag. That is 46-0-0. I would get their triple 10 or triple 19 for what you need.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
LabandBirdman said:
Get a soil sample kit from your local extension office and send it to PSU to get tested. They'll tell you what to use and you'll be much better off.
I use the test services thru Mossy Oak. Far easier to understand for food plotters.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok Thanks guys. I will get ahold of then CV COOP.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts