The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another question for all you habitat guys- I have a few white pines and crabapples that I planted from seedlings a few years ago. They have grown, but it seems like the rate is very slow. Would I speed things up at all if I spread some fertilizer around the drip lines. If so what kind, I've always used triple 10, but I was wondering if there was something better. What would be the best time of year to do this? Sorry for so many questions, but I know theres quite a few guys here who know a lot more about this stuff than me. Thanks in advance for all the replies.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The white pines are about 1-1.5 ft and the crabs are a little older and are about 2.5-3 ft

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Agricultural fertilizer would be OK--but you might want to stop at a decent nursery and get some tree spikes.

They are slow acting and formulated for your trees--if it is a good nursery they will have ones specifically for your pines and fruit trees.

Don't forget pH--that is as important as fertilizer.

·
Registered
220 Posts
ON established seedlings-8-12 inches out from stem make 2-3 8-9 inch deep holes with peice of 1/2 inch rebar/trapping stake. Place palm full of your 10-10-10 in hole and kick it shut with heal of boot. As trees get larger-you'l do more holes around edge of drip line. They need to be kicked shut/sealed off to keep all your N from volitolizing into atmosphere. This is poor mans fertilizer spike- 50 lb bag goes a longgg way.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Make your own tree "spikes." Got this from Jerry Baker - "America's Gardener" a few years back.

1/2 lb epsom salts
25 lb garden fertilizer
10 lb sugar

Mix it up and do as Thumper says above.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Newport-Bill said:
Make your own tree "spikes." Got this from Jerry Baker - "America's Gardener" a few years back.

1/2 lb epsom salts
25 lb garden fertilizer
10 lb sugar

Mix it up and do as Thumper says above.
Better watch it, sounds like they could get ya for bait'n!

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the help guys. When would be the best time of year to do this?

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Early spring, just at greenup.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Dutch. Sorry to be a pain, but I'm really getting into it this year. Anyway, I have one other question (I hope). In years past I've planted seedlings from PGC wih some success. This year I think I might want to try and see if I can plant some older trees (maybe potted trees). Anyway, does anyone have any good reccomendations on a good place to order potted trees on line?

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Try Musser Forests in Indiana, PA. They have potted trees they ship.

The other idea would be to buy seedlings and plant them in pots yourself for future plantings. More work tho.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Potted trees are very expensive. I like to buy in large quantity and then let patience take over. Obviously the size of the area you're improving has an impact. I've seen 10 inch seedlings that I spent 15 cents for and took a minute to plant turn into 15 foot trees. The first couple years test your patience, but in the long run your efforts will be rewarded

1 - 12 of 12 Posts