The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
I am heading to camp tomorrow to overseed winter rye into our food plots. While I am up there, I was wondering if i should apply some fertilizer to them. They are calling for 50% chance rain wednesday/thursday up there(northern tioga).
There are three plots with them all being the same. 1/2 plot in brassicas and other 1/2 in a mixture of oats, winter peas, and clover. These plots were planted first week of August.
I have a bag seeder and a broadcast spinner for the atv. Can I use the broadcaster on the atv and drive thru the plots or would that damage the plants? I wouldn't drive thru the brassicas, just the oats, winter peas, and clover.

Any recommendation on the fertilizer to use?

Thanks,

Rob

·
Registered
40 Posts
I wouldn't drive through them with the atv to spread fertilizer would probably do some damage. Did you fertilize when you planted and did you do a soil test?

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My soil tests were from 2 years ago when we first planted these areas. Phos and potassium were in optimum to above optimum range then. The plan moving forward is to rotate the halves of these plots. I did spread 100 lb of 10-20-20 at planting time.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
40 Posts
How big is the plot? And you could throw like a 46-0-0 on the brassicas to get some more growth just make sure the plants are not wet when you put it down.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
How big is the plot? And you could throw like a 46-0-0 on the brassicas to get some more growth just make sure the plants are not wet when you put it down.
Just make sure it rains within 2 days. Fertilizer will start to evaporate

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys for the input. I opted not to put anything on because I wasn't sure it was going to rain anytime soon. Turns out it did rain two days after I was there. Plots didn't look too bad but sure did need that rain they got.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts