The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last winter I was hoping to create some browse, and some long term brushy cover.

I hinge cut a bunch of low value popular and soft maple in an area probably about a quarter acre in size. I hoped It would explode with briars, and hardwood seedlings once the sping sun hit the ground.

The end result is a quarter acre of ferns. Not what I had planned. What would you guys do?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Heres another question.

I've always heard that ferns give something off that inhibits hardwood seedling growth. Is there any truth to that? Also, I use 41% Gly. any suggestions for my spray mixture? Does 2 oz. per gal. sound about right?

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Might be some truth to that, but, in areas where the PGC or DCNR sprays, they get regen, so, take it with a grain of salt.

Personally, I'd bump up the ratio. 3-4 ounces per gallon, but, thats me.

Depending on the size of the area and the number of deer tho, you may not get much growing as they tend to key in on small areas like that and eat the new growth that comes up.

·
Registered
329 Posts
It's called Allelopathy and it's true for some but not all ferns. We always spray the spring after we have timber harvested, once the ferns are up.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
When I had my property in Clinton county the property was clear cutted & ferns grew like wild flowers. After 8 years of owning the property, no new tress grew becasue no sunlight was able to reach the forest floor. That's why the deer herd was really low. The lowest in the state.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
We have stuff coming up thru a carpet of ferns in some areas, but only after we reduced the deer numbers. The neighbor is surprised at all the blackberries coming up thru his ferns, but then, there is an area that I have fenced, where nothing is growing in the ferns, and no deer have been in it.

So, I don't have the answer for that.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
All my plots are in Potter, so I have to deal with ferns all the time. I've had alot of sucess simply just discing them in early, dragging the plot over and over with a harrow drag to pickup the ferns (roots and all), and then planting a shade crop like buckwheat or sunflowers to shade them out. Some do come back, but very few and weak. I'll just go through and rip the tops off to help control. Then, re-discing in the cover crop to plant your annual in the fall basically whipes them out. I'd rather spray, but this is a quick and cheap fix sometimes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts