The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
12,462 Posts
I know that, but I also know that there are plenty of states that have good populations of deer, turkey, and hogs.
I'd suggest you talk to wildlife agencies in those states and see how they feel about their feral hogs. Everywhere they live in the wild they are considered vermin for good reason. I've hunted in South Carolina for 26 years and hogs moved in in numbers about 15 years ago. I can guarantee you that hogs have a negative impact on the environment and on deer and turkey hunting.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I don’t want anything to do with pigs. If I want pork it’s readily available me at the grocery store for cheap. Invasive animals cause nothing but problems and I don’t need hogs rooting up my food plots and my property. There’s plenty of Oporto hunt as it is without further introduction of non-native animals. Go hunt them in a high fence area.

·
Registered
11,569 Posts
My dad went to Florida back in the early 1950`s. I`m thinking 1953.. He drove his mom , aunt and I believe his dad also. He told me there was large herds of them then. He wasn`t sure how many , but quite a few.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
No I don’t own the land I hunt; the land I own is too far away for me to get serious about hunting it. You guys can dread the day they are here in strong numbers if you want but I’m looking forward to a new species to hunt.
Don't throw away your slick tricks just yet then partner, cuz them rage heads will not hold up to a good hog covered in mud.

·
Registered
11,980 Posts
I'd suggest you talk to wildlife agencies in those states and see how they feel about their feral hogs.
Texas lets you hunt them from a helicopter. What does that tell you?

Reactions: Danesdad

·
Registered
22,482 Posts
No I don’t own the land I hunt; the land I own is too far away for me to get serious about hunting it. You guys can dread the day they are here in strong numbers if you want but I’m looking forward to a new species to hunt.
If they come here, they will be the ONLY species you can hunt. Nothing else will be left.

·
Administrator
30,318 Posts
If they come here, they will be the ONLY species you can hunt. Nothing else will be left.
They will definitely cause deer to relocate to other areas. I used to run trail cameras in Germany, where they have quite a population of wild pigs (actual wild ones, not feral). I would be regularly getting pictures of Roe deer, Red deer, and sometimes Fallow deer, until the pigs come through. Once the pigs were in the area, it would be weeks before I'd get a picture of a deer.
And breeding? The Germans allow us to hunt pigs year round with no limits on how many you can kill. Even with that they still fight to keep the population from getting out of control. During years with mild winters, they usually have a second, and sometimes third, litter of piglets.

·
Registered
269 Posts
that’s a little extreme. They do displace native species like deer and other game animals. They tear up food plots and farm fields. They root up forests and play havoc with timber stands. Yes pork is delicious. When prepped right it is spectacular. I had Iberian pork steaks last year in Malaga Spain that were the best meat I have ever eaten. All that being said, I don’t want them anywhere near my hunting land.

·
Registered
12,462 Posts
There are really only two practical ways of hunting them, run them with dogs or bait them. If they came here, would the PGC permit running them with dogs? Probably, but running a pack of specialized pig dogs isn't something many sportsmen can do. Would they permit baiting them, which is the most popular method used by sportsmen to hunt them in states where they are now? Doubtful.

·
Registered
674 Posts
They were in Bedford at some point. There's still signs at most of the game land trail heads but I haven't seen a pig or sign of a pig in the 6 years I've been hunting the area. That's not entirely true, I see them fairly often driving passed the Wilderness but thus far they've stayed behind the fence. Hopefully they stay behind the fence.

·
Administrator
30,318 Posts
Would they permit baiting them, which is the most popular method used by sportsmen to hunt them in states where they are now?
And at night, to boot.
I'm not sure about other states, but most pigs get killed in Deutschland over bait, at night. Next prominent method is the organized drive hunts, with dogs. Better be well practiced on running shots for those.

Reactions: loridr

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Many years ago(late 70's) we had a "preserve" offering boar hunts here in Berks. I know some pigs got free and every now and then someone would shoot one while hunting. The "preserve" closed down and I haven't heard anything about those pigs in 40+ years. Either the locals got them all, very few escaped or they were all boars....

·
Registered
8,726 Posts
There are really only two practical ways of hunting them, run them with dogs or bait them. If they came here, would the PGC permit running them with dogs? Probably, but running a pack of specialized pig dogs isn't something many sportsmen can do. Would they permit baiting them, which is the most popular method used by sportsmen to hunt them in states where they are now? Doubtful.
Old thread..but some new posts...
....there's enough issues with coyote dog runners let alone having hog dog runners too LOL....although I wouldn't think chases in PA would be very long..no where near like some of the 15 to 30+ mile yote runs we have..

21 - 40 of 44 Posts