The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard any updates on the feral swine in PA?

Is the PGC, Dept of Ag, etc trapping them anymore?

I know they opened them back up to incidental take while hunting other big game in Bedford Co again where they seem to be most populated. Was curious if anyone knew if they were still doing trapping in the off season to help get rid of them?

Anyone seeing them where they hunt?

·
Registered
92 Posts
A good friend of mine swears he saw 3 in a field in 2C on his way to work last summer. Personally I've never seen any. Shoot to kill if you do, I know I will.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've never had any PA wild hog, but from having had them from other areas, they are good. The young ones seem to taste best as is the case with most game animals.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
They had a picture in the PA Outdoor News a couple of years ago of the rooting activity by hogs in the Game Lands by Buffalo Mills. That was before they closed all hunting for hogs and the PGC started trapping them. I've heard they trapped several and have not heard of anyone seeing any in that area since. Your best bet, if there are any in that area left, is to hunt it during deer rifle season when there are lots of hunters to move them around since they are mostly nocturnal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
They had a picture in the PA Outdoor News a couple of years ago of the rooting activity by hogs in the Game Lands by Buffalo Mills. That was before they closed all hunting for hogs and the PGC started trapping them. I've heard they trapped several and have not heard of anyone seeing any in that area since. Your best bet, if there are any in that area left, is to hunt it during deer rifle season when there are lots of hunters to move them around since they are mostly nocturnal.
i hunt pigs in Texas with a Thermal Drone, they are everywhere. They are basically not moving until midnight I can find them if they are around, they are easily visible from 1/4 mi

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Pigs are like bears, their flavor reflects what they have been feeding on. A corn fed bear or pig, will taste better than one that lived on pine cones, skunk cabbage, and garbage dump food.

·
Registered
11,609 Posts
In all the years hunting in Union, Snyder, Northumberland, Potter and a little in Tioga counties never seen one or an area they were in. And I`ve been hunting 45 years.

·
Registered
12,538 Posts
Hopefully they get going and we get population that is big enough and strong enough to hunt. I’d love to be able to bow hunt hogs locally! It angers me the PGC would trap them instead of protecting them to allow their population to grow!
Have you ever seen the damage they do to a forest? Do you like to hunt deer? Do you understand that they are direct competitors with deer, bear and turkeys and will wipe out a mast crop in the blink of an eye? Do you know that feral hogs will kill and eat fawn deer, destroy turkey nests and eat the eggs and poults?

·
Registered
99% archer 1% suppressed rifle.
121 Posts
I know that, but I also know that there are plenty of states that have good populations of deer, turkey, and hogs.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
You don't own the land you hunt on obviously. I don't need them in my forest or in my crops. Thank God we don't have hogs here. The bear, coon, and deer get enough corn here. It's tough enough to get more oak trees to survive winters here, let alone them rooting machines rototilling the ground all summer.

·
Registered
99% archer 1% suppressed rifle.
121 Posts
You don't own the land you hunt on obviously. I don't need them in my forest or in my crops. Thank God we don't have hogs here. The bear, coon, and deer get enough corn here. It's tough enough to get more oak trees to survive winters here, let alone them rooting machines rototilling the ground all summer.
No I don’t own the land I hunt; the land I own is too far away for me to get serious about hunting it. You guys can dread the day they are here in strong numbers if you want but I’m looking forward to a new species to hunt.

·
Administrator
30,333 Posts
Hopefully they get going and we get population that is big enough and strong enough to hunt. I’d love to be able to bow hunt hogs locally! It angers me the PGC would trap them instead of protecting them to allow their population to grow!
Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.
Do a little research on the damage pigs can do to fields and forest, not to mention how much feed they consume, and how quickly they breed. You might understand why we don't have, nor want, a population of wild pigs.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts