The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please offer an educated answer on what to do with feral cats as non-target catches? This is a real problem that needs addressed and it gets worse as time goes on. These critters are everywhere. Also,could a trapper who catches a domestic cat or dog in a legally set trap be held responsible for damages to the animal in the event of a non-target catch?

·
Registered
275 Posts
First, if you are trapping lawfully, on land where you have permission, and place your sets in such a manner as to minimize non target catches (ie don't bait coons with cat food, etc.)you will have done nothing wrong if you do catch a domestic animal... your duty is then to release it as carefully as possible, again in a way to minimize harm... So long as you have done your legal "duties" no negligence action would apply...

As for feral cats, you should release these too, as best I can tell, Pennsylvania frowns on the killing of cats unless they are being put down by a vet, OR in the act of harming your livestock or fowl...

Of course there is no one to complain about the demise of a feral cat, so if one is inadvertently killed by the trap or removal, and you don't self report it to someone, it is unlikely to result in a legal action.

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
Of course there is no one to complain about the demise of a feral cat, so if one is inadvertently killed by the trap or removal, and you don't self report it to someone, it is unlikely to result in a legal action.
Ill translate what Karl said into laymans terms, Shoot, shovel and shutup.

·
Registered
12,373 Posts
In PA it is a Misdemeanor to kill, maim, torture, etc any dog or cat whether belonging to himself or otherwise. The exception is for the owner destroying an animal under the animal destruction act or if thhe dog or cat was caught in the act of destroying livestock. See the Crimes Code title 18, section 5511 sub (a) (2.1) It is against the law to kill or poison feral cats. So shoot straight, bury deep and lie

·
Registered
20,189 Posts
No wonder we can never find any mountain lions in Pa when everybody wants to kill off the little ones.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Birch-Funny you should bring that up.I have a friend who has a second cousin twice removed that swears his nephew's wife killed one with "Property of PA Game Commission" tatooed in its mouth!

·
Registered
7 Posts
That is one of the best coyote baits one can get I have been told. I have noticed a decline in feral cats in my area. I blame it on coyotes and don't have a problem with that at all. Feral cats do more damage to our small game populations than any other predator from what I gathered from the internet.

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
Its funny read a few of the older Game news and they have articles in them on trapping and using cat for bait for fox. Try putting that in there nowdays. Them old cat ladies would be all over the news protesting..

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Ghost said:
Ill translate what Karl said into laymans terms, Shoot, shovel and shutup.
If you use the "Right" Sets, you don't have to do SSS!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts