The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From talking with folks and visiting some diffrent beagle boards it seems to me like its always alot easier to find info on the great male beagles of today and in years past that also throw really good pups but. I realize that a male can produce a staggering number of litters compared to a single female and thus making it easier to make a name for themselfs as a great producer. But I'm interested in hearing about some of those hard hunting one of a kind females that have graced the beagle world. If ya got some info or opinons of some of the best females please share

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
RH,
You are not kidding it has been difficult to find a female! Saved again by a HPA--I found a nice female to go with my male. All I need now is some weather cooperation to get these pups working.

Kinzua Man

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Hello the finest female I have ever gotten to see was FC/MAB BROWNS LA DARK SUPER SIZE. She is out of Pro and Steelbridge Carla.My friend bought her I was there the first time her put her down non stop 3 1/2 hours on the same rabbit. I saw he track on a gravel bed that game many other dogs a problem she never missed a beat. I have seen two of her daughters and both are fine dogs also. I have seen alot of very nice little man females I think a title ona female goes alot further than a male With two heat cycles messed up going in and coming out of heat Its alot of timing and extra effort.
george

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
That is the way it is with any breed. Females are of course very important and if you look at crosses for particular breeds of dogs you will see some females showing up regular in good dogs. Like everyone said you can breed a male to countless females but a female can only be breed every heat cycle and I wouldn't even do that. I think they should have a break and not be bred all the time. What do I know? I have only had a couple of litters in my life but I am planning on breeding my mountain cur this year since she is now a proven dog with a championship bloodline. Lot of Hall of Fame dogs in her pedigree. I would like another pup to train. Going to breed her to a top male.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
A few of the old time females that became well known to really produce are in New England, NY were FC Brad Ju Bella Donna, Madge Scott, Eaton Brook Mustang Sally.
Some of the more recent females especially when bred to FC Burdette's Little Darbin was FC Nipponese Sunshine.
Also FC Nemasket's Big Spring comes to mind in New England.

We really concentrate on quality females here.
Our Lacy has produced some outstanding dogs in just 2 breedings. The younger litter on the ground is looking really good and will be derbys this year.
The first litter produced 2 AKC FC's and a UKC HBCH.

Maybe Timberdoodle Tom or Andy P can lend us their wisdom sometime in this thread.

But Cody, what will also find is that many hunters with quality females choose not to breed them much but to really just enjoy their hounds.

We never got pups out of Abby and really regetted it but she has given us a decade of excellence.

John L

·
Registered
24,784 Posts
FC Brinkys Shot of Bailey was a great producer as was FCSketers Lil Orphan Annie. Both Pa Hounds. Stan Breons FC Bottomlands Bedrock Pebbles made a great name for herself and likeFC Nippenose Sunshine is one of two females that I know are in the PBGA Hall of Fame, I believe the rest of the hall are males.

One of the things you have to consider with beagles are we talking Field trials or hunting. Field Trial Dogs are more noticed. Not necessarily better dogs, but better noticed. So a Female has to make a name for herself in trials and has a much smaller chance of making her name as a producer than her male counterpart. A hunting dog not trialed will never be known except by a very small local group.

Watch for pups out of FC Lackawanna Maggie Mae.. It was a pleasure watching her run.... I was competing against her and my jaw dropped watching her on a rabbit. Thats not blowing smoke either I went and told John to his face that day.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Thank you Tom, that means a lot coming from you.
Can she be a great producer too, only time tells that.
We are driving all the way to Mass. on Sunday to get to a super quality male with very similar breeding.
This dog has only ever seen 1 licensed trial (he won) but is a superb hunting dog with a great nose.

"A hunting dog not trialed will never be known except by a very small local group."
That is one main reason that I included Rev, Burbank's Muastang Sally she never was trialed but if you check the pedigrees of many of taoday's go to hounds (especially around Binghamton and also Timmy Babbit's excellent hounds)
There is Sally anchoring the line up.

John L

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
That is why I trial, to get to see what we do not hear about locally. I have seen some of the best in our area , I agree with Tom. I got to hunt with Pebbles and Sunshine and they were the real deal. Pebbles never really got a chance to reproduce and Sunshine's pups are rabbit crazy!!
John's young females are some of the best I have seen as well. I have seen Maggie and the Lulu female that K. Barrett owns run a few times, and I believe they will be talked about years from now.
The female I got my Dixie from was another one. Purnell's Nittany Dasey Kylie could have finished if she was trialed. Could produce a rabbit no matter what the conditions were, she had 9 pups from one litter and 4 of them would have finished had they lived long enough, as it is only one made it and she is doing pretty well for me... She can run a rabbit in any weather, no matter how cold or how hot. Dusty dry shale and glaze ice, no matter. She is my measuring stick. FC Dixie so far has produced 1 AKC FC, another that will finish this summer and 2 ARHA PP dual (show and Field) champions from her first litter of 9 pups, these 4 males were only ones that were campaigned. The other pups from the litter that went to hunters can not be bought, and believe me I have tried. In my mind that is pretty decent results. I have good feelings about this new litter....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts