The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some advice on felt bottom boots. I am looking for something affordable $100 - $150 range. What brand and model are you using. Velcro or laces. The Hodgemans I have now have worked but are heavy and uncomfortable. Give me some ideas on what to look at.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I'm not too sure about brands but i like to use laces.Also I saw that some states around here banned felt bottom boots.I saw the sign at bass pro. Pa didnt outlaw them but when you go to another state look at the rules.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
They make an ultra light style. PA hasn't banned them yet, but a good alternative is cork bottomed. Go with the laces...the velco gets muddy/silt filled and won't work well.

·
Registered
308 Posts
With that price range, I would give a serious look at Korkers. I'm not crazy about velcro but I've used them. Didn't last too long.
I've bought the Cabelas brand boots and found them on sale at different times for $69-$79 a pair. Very light weight and comfy.
The new trend seems to be steering away from felt.My new pair now has rubber on the bottom and I'm installing sheet metal screws in the bottoms for traction. Now I bought them out of the Cabelas cave last week for $38. I couldn't go wrong for that. I was leaning to buying a pair of the newer Korkers,as I had an older pair that I used for years. I keep two pair on hand always.

Big D

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input. I never thought about the problems listed with velcro so I will stick with laces. I have heard nothing but good things about Korkers and will look into them.
As far as the felt goes, I only fish around camp in Pa so as long as they are legal in Pa I will stick with felt bottoms because I know they work. Out of curiosity, How well do the rubber/stud combination soles work in slippery conditions? I have noticed that many of the retailers don't have felt in stock. I will be making a trip to Cabela's soon to try some pairs on.

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
Tuckerman said:
Out of curiosity, How well do the rubber/stud combination soles work in slippery conditions?
Very well. I used felt soles for about 40 years. But I've switched over to the rubber soles with studs, and they're great. The grip is good, and they last much longer than felt soles.

But rubber soled boots without the studs do not have enough traction.

Even felt soled boots have much better traction with the studs, and the soles will last much longer, i.e. about 3 times as long.

Of course you can buy boots without studs, and add them yourself.

You can buy high quality studs at a reasonable price from Melindas:

http://www.hatchmag.com/blog/tip-stop-grossly-overpaying-wading-boot-studs/771153

·
Registered
662 Posts
I bought a pair of Korkers last year as they seemed to be a great solution. However, I have been very disappointed on the quality. I fished roughly 35 times with them this year, and the boot itself has already begun to fall apart at the seams. Also, the felt sole was completey shot after 20 or so trips. The "sticky rubber" soles are useless in the stream unless you're fishing muddy bottomed streams. I only use the rubber soles to hike into spots and then switch the soles out. I just ordered a pair of the studded rubber soles and hope they hold up before the boots completely fall apart... Just my thoughts on Korkers.

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
bjb2799 said:
I bought a pair of Korkers last year as they seemed to be a great solution. However, I have been very disappointed on the quality. I fished roughly 35 times with them this year, and the boot itself has already begun to fall apart at the seams. Also, the felt sole was completey shot after 20 or so trips. The "sticky rubber" soles are useless in the stream unless you're fishing muddy bottomed streams. I only use the rubber soles to hike into spots and then switch the soles out. I just ordered a pair of the studded rubber soles and hope they hold up before the boots completely fall apart... Just my thoughts on Korkers.
Do you feel that the soles you put on are as good as felt with studs? I'm in the market for new boots and was considering the Korkers. I have had Simms with felt and studs and have been happy with them.

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
runningdeer said:
bjb2799 said:
Do you feel that the soles you put on are as good as felt with studs? I'm in the market for new boots and was considering the Korkers. I have had Simms with felt and studs and have been happy with them.
I've considered getting Korkers, but I don't think I'd like the hassle of switching soles, carrying the extra pair of soles, making sure I didn't lose them, and remembering to bring them along etc.

If you get a pair of wading shoes with rubber soles and spikes, you're set for all conditions. You can hike trails with them, and you can wade the streams with them. They have good traction, and they wear well, i.e. they will last a long time.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did a little research and like the korkers. Looking to choose between the metalheads and redside models. Anybody have either of these? Reviews on both were high.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a pair of the Metalheads. Best wading boots I've ever had. I've had them for about a year and fished them pretty heavy. They're holding up great so far. The BOA laces are what attracted me the most and I haven't been disappointed. It's nice not having them come untied or loosening once you're in the water. I would definitely recommend them.

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
Railking said:
I have a pair of the Metalheads. Best wading boots I've ever had. I've had them for about a year and fished them pretty heavy. They're holding up great so far. The BOA laces are what attracted me the most and I haven't been disappointed. It's nice not having them come untied or loosening once you're in the water. I would definitely recommend them.
how thick is the felt on these? could you sink studs into them and still be able to swap out the soles?

·
Registered
11 Posts
runningdeer said:
Railking said:
I don't know if you could add studs to the felt or not. I don't see a reason why not. It's not too bad to switch out the soles. To swap between felt and studded or rubber, it can be done in about 45 seconds. The sole that you swap out is pretty thin so it's not too bulky to carry the extra set in your vest of chest pack.

how thick is the felt on these? could you sink studs into them and still be able to swap out the soles?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts