The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My neighbor has a Brother-in-law from south east part of Pa.This fellow has a son that comes up hunting,not often,because of his schooling.
The man got fined for having his sons hunting license,in his wallet and the boy not being with him?????
$235.00!
The Game Protector was going around the large area of farms they hunt. No one else is let on to the properties! They have, like little cabin style tree stands all over the fence rows between the field with heat and windows!
Well,i guess they figured they didn't have to follow the regs? The one about 100 or more square inches of orange with in 15 feet of the blind.This was what led to the hunting license fine,when he checked the fellows license. He only gave him a warning for the orange band not being up.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
That'll be two hunters lost to stupidity forever..what about mentor hunters? I would bet 99% of the Dads carry their mentors license with them because the vast majority of kids under 16 don"'t carry a wallet...under the letter of the law he was wrong but a warning would have be fine.

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
Or, that'll be a hunter that might not try and shoot a deer and tag it with his son's tag anymore. Not stupid at all. And we don't know all the facts. I've run across several people over the years that carry thier wife's tag with them. Thier wife wouldn't be caught dead in the woods, ever. But they had wifeys tag with them. Wonder what that was for? Probably the same as the above scenario. Good job by the officer, IMO.

·
Registered
25,981 Posts
If I had a MYH along, I would be carrying their license with my own license. It's already fine to "give" them my doe tag if I want to. So what's the difference if I'm also carrying their license?

<span style="font-style: italic">Innocent 'til proven guilty.</span> Conjuring up another few paragraphs in the regs, just to make it "easier" to cite someone, is not following that precept.

If a hunter tries to tag game with someone else's license - catch them in the act and cite them. For that matter, if a mentor actually helps a kid fill out the MYH's tag and then attaches it - does that make them guilty of an infraction?

No excuse for carrying a wife's license while you're hunting. She's an adult, responsible for keeping track of her own documents.

Different circumstances with a MYH that has enough to concentrate on, without checking to see if their license is in a pocket while afield with their mentor.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Tony300wby said:
The guy should thank the WCO for not citing him for the orange violation.

Good luck, Tony
Well, Tony, it looks like we do agree on something! They are extremely lucky that they weren't cited for that.

Even when I hunt private land that nobody else has permission on, I wear orange as required by law.

Just because I'm the only one allowed to hunt a place doesn't preclude a poaching a-hole from poking his gun through a fence and taking a poke at a deer right in line with where I'm set up. The best I can do is pray that the poacher at least considers my position when he does. I've had more than one idiot tumble out of the brush on private land with a gun, no orange, and beat feet the instant he saw me.

As far as possession of a kid's license/tag goes, I think that part of the reg needs accommodation when a kid is highly unlikely to have a wallet/pack and a lot more prone to lose his tag with it just stuffed somewhere random. Regardless, if it's already on the books that it's illegal, while I don't agree with it, the rule stands until and unless its rescinded.

I have no idea what the fine is for either violation (no orange vs. carrying someone else's license). Wild guess, but maybe the WCO decided that these guys were going to have to get cited for something (rightfully) and was cutting them a break by issuing the lesser of two citations. Maybe it was the other way around. No clue, but as the law stands, the fact that they only got one citation is blessing for them. I think they need to do remove the restriction on a mentor carrying a kid's tag, but as the law stands, it is what it is.

·
Registered
18,571 Posts
My 2 cents. If the guy was up to no good he would carry the extra tags in another area from his real license. WCO only can find what you show him he can't strip search you looking for tags and the guys attempting this know it.
Seems this guy had his son's tags from the last time out or used the same backback his son used.
Did this once back when we had to display only noticed when I went to tag that I had my son's back pack and he had mine.

Anyway the WCO must have found this by accident or the whole story is not told and the guy was more than just having it in his possession.

I would explain it to the local judge and see if he has more compassion.
Also thinking this WCO may be banking on the guy just paying the fine without question. The WCO should have fined him for the other violation as well if this was on the up and up. The WCO is not allowed to selectivity enforce the game laws. He can use discretion but not selection. JMHO Waugh!

·
Banned
851 Posts
Why does everybody think you have to carry your license in your wallet? I still carry mine on my back, or backpack, or blind bag.

I think learning to bring and remember your license is part of learning to hunt. That's just as important as having your gun. There's really no excuse for not having it on you at all times when hunting or trapping or even fishing.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I believe the kid was 12 years old?
The Game Protector,as i know the story,had stopped to warn or write him up for no orange band near the tree stand cabin.
When he checked the guys ID/license,it was his sons he pulled out first,and then he was caught!
The young boy was in school.It was on a Monday, i think???
The guy just paid the fine and did not fight it!
Now,as for me and my hunting license,i only deer hunt [too old for anything else]and my license is in a chest pocket of my blaze orange coat. It stays there until,if i am lucky,i need the tag,not in my wallet.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Borden811 said:
Or, that'll be a hunter that might not try and shoot a deer and tag it with his son's tag anymore. Not stupid at all. And we don't know all the facts. I've run across several people over the years that carry thier wife's tag with them. Thier wife wouldn't be caught dead in the woods, ever. But they had wifeys tag with them. Wonder what that was for? Probably the same as the above scenario. Good job by the officer, IMO.
i would wonder the same thing, if it happened over the weekend i wouldn't be as concerned but during deer season I would agree with the WCO handing out the fine.

i still remember when i was 16 or so I shot a buck running across a field during a drive, i had a few good shots in but the next guy in line put in another shot and thats where the deer went down. got back to camp and I had thought this guy already shot a buck earlier in the week, I was correct it was a wife/daughter's tag in the buck, so that irked me a bit, also didn't help that I had 3 shots in the chest (i was on the deer's left) the only shot coming from the right was back in the guts. even at that age I knew not worth arguing over deer but the 2 tag people I still wish them luck meeting the WCO dragging out wife's deer while she is at work

·
Registered
16,557 Posts
Well,i guess they figured they didn't have to follow the regs? The one about 100 or more square inches of orange with in 15 feet of the blind
Hmmmm. If that's the case, myself and a large amount of my partners are in violation also ? Didn't know it was mandatory to place an orange band within x amount of feet from a blind. Just thought it was high recommendation ? So, a guy sitting in a "tree shack" with windows, wearing all the required orange (head, chest, back), still has to have a band within 15ft of that shack ? I think ever person in Washington County, save for a handful, are in violation.
What about an open climbing treestand that a hunter decided to wrap with camo netting ? Same deal ?

Now, I did hear about the orange band for turkey hunting, but don't know if it is a rule, or simply highly advised... I don't turkey hunt.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.