The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to plant 4 acres of corn for the deer and turkeys. What would ya'll recommend to use? I do not need to use trait-ed corn just something that wont break the bank. Why couldn't I use shelled or ear corn? I had someone say can use ear corn to plant but not shelled. Any input Johns town pa area.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I don't know What they meant by planting ear corn but not shelled corn. All corn has to be shelled from the cob to be planted. If you have access to shelled field corn from a farmer try planting some seeds after the chance of frost is over, usually around memorial day, and see if it germinates or just plant some kernels in paper drink cups now and sit them on a window sill and see if it germinates. I planted a field of sunflowers one year from seeds that were sold for birds feed instead of expensive seed that were meant for planting. It grew fine.

Reactions: jimbridger

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
If you know a farmer the plants open pollinated corn you can definitely just go by shelled corn and plant it. A lot of field corn that this planted is a hybrid and if you re-plant it may grow but generally will not make an ear.

·
Registered
12,253 Posts
Look at Rural King if there is any in your area. They have some decent prices on corn. Corn is a fertilizer hog though, and if the ground isn't good then it won't produce much.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wasn't sure myself but they said that corn that is still on the ear and then stripped would take better that shelled . I dunno just what I was told.

·
Registered
222 Posts
The reason they say plant ear corn is that shelled corn has been though a dryer and heated. Some will sprout, but most wont. You do need to shell the ear corn to plant.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Planted ear corn and I would say 40-60 grew and produced. So cheapest way to plant corn for a food plot for me.

·
Registered
103 Posts
If you have local QDMA or NWTF chapter that participates in their respective conservation seed program, that may be a good alternative as well. Seed is relatively cheap and germination rates would be pretty good as it is only 1 year old seed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts