The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was just wondering how many of us feed the birds during the winter months or year around. also what kind of mix do you use. store bought or make your own.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
One feeder for each type of food.Highest consumed first to least last.
Shelled sunflower kernels
Black oil sunflower
Upsidedown Thistle seed feeder
Raw Peanuts
Suet cakes
Grey stripe sunflower
Safflower

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Late fall, winter and arly spring when birds really need the feed. Black sunflower seeds and [censored] seed.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Here is something fun for the kids to do. You need a bunch of pine cones, thin wire, cheap peanut butter, bag of bird seeds, and garden hose. Tie the wire onto the cones, coat with peanut butter, roll the cones in seeds, hang up cones on tree branches. When finished hose down the kids.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Mix from agway for winter in covered feeder, plus on the ground under our huge holly bush. They go under the holly bush when the young hawk comes around.

·
Registered
13,867 Posts
1oldman said:
They go under the holly bush when the young hawk comes around.
I've been known to go under the holly bush when the ole battle ax shows up!

Mostly suet cakes in the winter.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i go to the feed mill and get black oil sunflower seeds, striped seeds, and cracked corn and mix them. good mix for the birds that visit my feeder. no waste. my only problem is when the squirrels find out that the feeders are out. then the fun begins.

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
No use. There's a lady not too far from me that feed them all winter long. She has somewhere in the neighborhood of 15-20 feeders going in her yard, plus throwing stuff on the ground. Last winter, in addition to all the songbirds, she had three Coopers hawks hunting it.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
was watching the feeders today and pitied those poor birds. they are having a rough time flying to the feeders in the wind. once they get on the feeder they hang on for dear life. some stay there most of the day unless something scares they away. hope this wind lets up some.

·
Administrator
28,376 Posts
i hit on a pretty good trick last week.
I had a small sour cream container half filled with bacon fat. Added birdseed and a string down the center, and then put it out to freeze. Later, I ran it under hot water just long enough to loosen up the container. I then hung my homemade feeder on a pine bough with about four feet of the string.
It works pretty good. Just enough room on top for a single chickadee. Hilarious watching the downey woodpecker working it. The harder he pecks, the more it swings until he's goin' around and around like a model airplane on a wire. Best of all, the jays cant seem to get a grip to feed from it.

·
Registered
8,708 Posts
Black sunflower and suet cakes during the worst cold weather...usually December thru March.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
Black oil sunflower mostly year round. And in the winter I go thru alot and I mean alot of seed. The squirels really love them too...

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
on the subject of bacon fat...

I have a cast iron skillet with about 2 cups of used vegetable oil that I made a (large) batch of country fried backstrap chops in....it's been sitting in my 3 season room cus i'm tooo lazy to clean it up but thought...

Since the oil is all solid now, could I use it to mix up some seeds and stuff to press into pine cones/containers/etc? or would the vegetable oil not be good for the birds?

My thought is that if they can digest fat at all, the more they can get right now, the better off they are?

·
Registered
10,309 Posts
Wife is the suet cake Queen.

I like the thistle seed feeder, cept this year I have very few takers on the thistle.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts