The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you legally feed deer on SGL while it is out of season? So someone can put out some corn in order to get pictures of the deer that are still around?

·
Registered
7,682 Posts
no...from what I recall you cannot put anything on SGL...feed and or minerals...correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
No you cannot feed on the Gamelands

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Because the law says so! Because there is no reason to do it and because can you imagine what it would be like with people dumpig stuff on game lands to feed game. In addition, as long as hunting season lasts you could effectivly close down an area of game lands to hunting because of bait.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It wouldn't be during hunting season and it would be cleaned up a month before the season starts. Plus it could help the deer live through the winter with more nutrition than they normally would. It would be nice to help them out and get a good idea of what is left out there, just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
well the big problem would be that all the country boys would take tons of corn up to the deep woods and dump it, because to some, corn is the only feed. That would result in more deaths than the winter itself, along with building dependencies in some animals. What happens when the snow gets too deep for the people to restock the feed but the deer have all now congregated and are waiting, too lazy to go find their own food?
or we could start talking about diseases, cwd for example.........

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
etowns54 said:
It wouldn't be during hunting season and it would be cleaned up a month before the season starts. Plus it could help the deer live through the winter with more nutrition than they normally would. It would be nice to help them out and get a good idea of what is left out there, just my 2 cents.
Submit your idea to your PGC Commissioner. Most people that feed deer have no idea what they are doing and do more harm than good.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
That is all you need Rich, to have to walk your gamelands every year prior to spring turkey to make sure someone hasn't left bait lay.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
I love how people ask a question and when they get the answer they dont want, WHY comes flying out like a 8 year old. The simple answer is "Because its against the law" But thats never good enough, So that why I tell them to contact thier Commisioner.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
So the Commissioner can say no as well.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I am happy its illegal, but on the other hand I think the state should do more to help the herds in the winter in areas that get harsh winters. Out west they feed the elk and mulies to help combat winter mortality. When hunting seasons end on SGL you see no one around until maybe the next spring!!! just my 2 pennies

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
There is a big difference between PA and deer and out west where all the elk for the most part come down out of the high country and get yarded up in places like Sunlight Basin where they haul in hay if the snow is too deep, they also get real snow and winter there compared to PA.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Fleroo said:
So that why I tell them to contact thier Commisioner.
Why ?
If its a regulation, the commissioners can change it if it is a good idea.

If its a Law it takes your Rep to change it.

·
Registered
52,306 Posts
I saw the Elk feeding in Jackson Hole, WY...they hauled loose hay out with horse and wagon aand unloaded it with pitchforks by hand.....

1 - 20 of 57 Posts