The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to build a deer feeder, covered, not great big and bulky butmedium or small to just have in my back yard, does anyone have any plans, I could even scale it down if need be to suit my scenario......

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I made that same feeder. Works great! Only difference is, is that bottom piece you have below the 45 degree "Y". I didn't put that piece on. I just but a bottom screw in piece. I figured the corn that got stuck down in there would rot if i made a piece like that. The one I have sits just about flush with the bottom of the "Y". BUT Great design!!! Mine is 6" and hold about 50lb of corn.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Hey killin', they do work well...til the bears decide to rip them off the trees.

I took an old sign and cut it to fit inside the bottom of that wye then drilled holes all through it to allow any rain water to filter down through the corn and out the bottom of the wye. Then there is a drain hole in the bottom of that cap. If not, that corn would get all moldy. Plus I wanted them up off the ground a little more. I made 3 of them.

·
Registered
52,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont have a bear problem here...what I really wanted was a covered feeder like a flat botton and then have a small canopy over it, I have seen these in the woods, might try this type after all....

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
That block of wood I have cut out between the tree and feeder was meant to tilt the feeder more forward for less water to enter into it. The tree this one is on is not realy suited for the idea.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I use the same feeder as Q2XL12. The only exception is we just put a drain cap on the bottom instead of drilling holes. This is a very easy and inexpensive feeder to make. I haven't run into any bears using mine. The only problem I have run into is keeping the darn coons out of it.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I've heard about htese types of feeders and I want to make one soon. Two questions though...do you add the corn from the top or do you just fill it in the opening at the 45...and if you fill it from the top does the corn automatically push out at the opening on the 45.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Dont glue the cap on the top so you can remove it and fill from the top, it will feed right out the 45 as they eat it.

I took and sanded the outside of the top of the pipe and the inside of the cap so it would come off and on more easily.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts