The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Find myself checking these out every so often. Looks like S&W has made them for a while in several models and calibers. Anyone have one in the .44 mag. and if so, what has been your experience with it? Thanks

·
Registered
893 Posts
Only ever had one , stainless 4 inch.
it is either junk , or i just got unlucky and got a lemon.
Alot of send backs due to internal parts breaking.
I would like to think Smith made these guns good as they have with their other wheelguns.
So mine was probably just a lemon.But I just had to have the "mountain gun" logo on it.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Have one and love it. Originally bought it used with a ported barrel, was WAY too loud! Smtih sold me a replacement barrel, local smith put it on, jumps a little more now, but easily managed. Been shooting 260gr cast bullets, thinking of trying the new Barnes bullets out it this fall

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have a 4" in stainless, 44mag. Never had a problem with it no matter what I feed it. Always on my hip in the woods. Had it for 18yrs and counting.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Anyone think it suffers in the accuracy department from 50 to 100 yards due to the shorter sight plane? I have been back and forth about these same pistols myself.

If they were a little bit stronger and could be loaded a little hotter, I would have bought one by now in 45 Colt.

Would be nice to have when I'm hiking or driving deer and don't want to carry a rifle.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
BigEd said:
I have a 4" in stainless, 44mag. Never had a problem with it no matter what I feed it. Always on my hip in the woods. Had it for 18yrs and counting.
What Big Ed said
. Mine is pretty much a constant companion. It's digested LOTS of .44 mag and .44 special rounds in the 16 yrs I've owned it. Never a problem. This is one that I'll never sell.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I have a 4'' 629 mountain gun. I like it a lot. The mix of light weight and strong frame makes it great. A 44 mag any lighter is a mess to shoot, the ultralights are way too much to handle in the recoil area. they are good for carry but not to shoot. the mountain gun is a good compromise. you always lose accuracy when the sight plane is reduced. I can shoot my 7 1/2'' super black hawk a lot better then the 4'' mountain gun. If you want a big caliber lightweight gun that is still comfortable to shoot, get one. One thing I did to customize it a bit and tame the recoil was to put a set of X frame grips on it. they cover the back of the grip so there is no metal in your hand. the padded grip really helps the recoil.

·
Registered
889 Posts
If you are looking for a lightweight Carry gun. To back you up when hunting, and doing woods walks. Plus you are looking for something that can easily do double duty as a hunting revolver. Then take a good look at the S&W 329PD. I really like mine. it is capable of shooting bricks at 50 yards off handed. I cast my own 240 grain lead bullet for mine. I load it down to 850 fps for a practice load with 2400 powder. But I also load it up hot with 20.0 grains of 2400 for a carry load. The revolver is so light that you do not even know it is there.

Yes recoil is stout with the full loads. But I do all my shooting with 44 Special loads. And shoot very little of the high power loads. This is the last handgun that I would sell if I had to sell my handguns.

I use mine on doe hunts here in WV. And have shot several deer with the revolver. Tom.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts