The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm fairly new to goose hunting and was patterning my Browning silver with Federal Heavyweight loads that are 12 guage, 3 1/2", 1 3/8 oz. of 2 shot. What I found that at 45 yards the full choke patterned much better than the modified. I contacted Browning and they said they don't recommend the full choke for heavyweight shot because it can cause a bulge ring near the choke area. Does any one here use a Browning with a Invector full choke with heavy weight shot. Thank you for your time and info. Tony

·
Registered
975 Posts
I shoot these all the time and have found the best patterns come from a factory IC in my Benelli. Give your IC choke a try and see what you get.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply.. Ill give it a try after work tomorrow. I'll post the results

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
You're not supposed to shoot steel loads from a full constriction choke tube. This applies to all steel loads, just not federal heavyweights. I used federal red box and have my best patterns from my IM and LM Briley tubes. Shooting #2's isn't like shooting BBB, you'll sometimes get a decent pattern from a full choke tube, but the larger you go in pellet size, your pattern will likely break down. Check out a Carlson's stainless steel extended tube. You'll be able to shoot anything and get a nice dense pattern at range. I own quite a few Carlson's, never have I been disappointed with how they perform shooting federal loads.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
I really like the federal shells...so does the gun.
I will tell ya though, in 2 cases ive had 4 no fires. All had good firing pin hits.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I have a bunch of the 3" #5 loads (turkey not waterfowl loads). They just don't have the pattern density like I like for turkeys but for geese...at RDICULOUS ranges if you wanted, like in some pass shooting scenarios? Look out! That stuff will straight up WRECK a goose farther out that should be legal and sometimes ethical and will completely pass through a big goose about DOUBLE the range steel can. I also have some of the HW BB coyote loads I'd like to try on geese as well. I have personally seen them knock a red fox flat at a ranged 75 yards. Just doesn't seem fair though you know?...

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
#5 HD loads are only good on paper for about 50 yards launched at turkey speeds around 1250 fps. I can't say for sure, I've never needed anything but lead for turkey because I use a 10 ga, but I don't think it quite can live up to the scenarios you claim.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just for reference, These numbers are not exact, but i have spent some time looking into this and it just shows that not all heavy shot/heavy weight is created equal.

Lead shot is approx. 10g/cc
Steel shot is approx. 6-7g/cc
Heavy shot, High Density ect is approx 10-12g/cc
Federal heavy weight is 15g/cc

So using hevi-shot or high density shot is getting back to or a little better then lead shot in terms of kinetic energy assuming speed and shot size is the same. 1 BB of 7 shot federal heavy weight is equal in weight to 1 BB of lead 5 shot. These are not my numbers just stuff I've found on different sites. But shooting more BB's of the same weight or the same size denser BB's should really extend your shot range. Even if MV is slower with the heavy weight shells, retained energy is going to greater as you move out to longer distances.

I just cant find anything on why federal stopped making heavy weight shells in the larger shot sizes. it looks like all they make now is 5-7 shot for turkey.

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
I just cant find anything on why federal stopped making heavy weight shells in the larger shot sizes.
As the price of these heavier than lead products went up, the sales went down and hunters quit buying them in any quantities. There just was no demand.
Add in the many improvements made to Steel Shot over the last 5 years and waterfowlers ain't gonna go Boom, Boom, Boom with shells that cost $3 to $5 a shot.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I have posted this before but will do so one more time. Rogers Sporting Goods has these at a case price of $179.00 with free shipping. Wish they had #4s but at that price I will take the #2s all day long.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I don't think they are the same thing.. Rogers has the High Density Ultra shok on sale

http://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/feder...2ga-p-4535.html

And they have the Mag-Shok (Heavy weight) turkey loads in 6 and 7 shot but as from what I see I don't see any larger shot heavy weight shells for sale. I ordered a case from them last year and have been looking for more but cant find them. hopefully i'm wrong and just not looking in the right place.

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
The Fereral Heavy Weight is different than the High Density Ultra Shock. Best that I can remember the Heavy Weight your looking for has been discontinued.

The Ultra Shock that Pappy is referring to would be the next best thing.
Hevi Shot would be the best choice but that stuff is priced much higher.

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
If cost is no object, the choice available today for the best all around hevi shot load would be the Hevi-Shot Waterfowl Ultra Density 12 Ga. 3 1/2" 1 5/8 oz, #4

Hevi Shot Goose

·
Registered
59 Posts
Are you stating this based off your experience with patterning that load and hunting experience. I'm fairly new to waterfowl hunting, just starting last year so have very little actual experience other then patterning a few different loads in the yard and reading what I can online.

But again I would think more- pellets with the same weight per pellet would in theory be better. I'm willing to try anything, but if you are going to shoot 4 shot Hevi-shot goose at 12g/cc 1 5/8oz at 1300FPS, why not shoot 5 shot heavy weight turkey loads at 15g/cc 1 7/8oz shot at 1300FPS.

again not arguing your point and will probably go get some hevi-shot and pattern it myself, but I'm relatively young and have the more is better mindset.

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
The heavy weight would be the better choice because of it 15 g/cc but it's $27 for 5 shells. The Hevi shot is $31 for 10 rounds and 12 g/cc.

Thus my reasoning of Hevi Shot would be the best ALL AROUND shot. If price is no object go for the HW.

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
To the couple guys that are saying they are new to waterfowling, just remember one thing. If you shoot at a goose at between 20 and about 30 yards out, it should die. No matter what choke, gun, or shell you have in the gun. I have killed geese at 25 yards, with steel, 3", 1 oz. 20 gauge. Guess what i'm trying to say is, this stuff is nice, very nice, but the price is a joke, and not usually needed. If all your shots are 40-50 yards, I guess it's your option, but no way would I pay 3 bucks a shell to shoot most waterfowl. If I was hunting in Alaska, for just one day, and trying to shoot a Harlequin or something, then I would think about it, but not for normal hunting conditions.

Only time I switch loads is for diver/sea duck hunting. Shots tend to be longer, and sea ducks are tougher to kill than other ducks, in my opinion. But even then I don't go crazy money shells, I just use Hevi-Metal, a little over a buck a shot. For geese and puddle ducks, I use the same load, Kent fasteel, 3", 1 3/8, #1's. 1375 fps. Pretty slow, but have been using the same shell, out of the same gun, out of the same factory mod. choke, for a lot of years.

I am in no way saying the expensive shells are junk, they are not, they are great, I just think if you get used to a good shell, and get used to that load, out of your gun, you won't need those big money shells in most of your hunting situations. Just trying to save you a buck.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
DTaylor said:
#5 HD loads are only good on paper for about 50 yards launched at turkey speeds around 1250 fps. I can't say for sure, I've never needed anything but lead for turkey because I use a 10 ga, but I don't think it quite can live up to the scenarios you claim.
If that was in reference to my post, I can tell you they aren't just claims. I have seen it. My Win. 1300 (the gun used to kill the fox in question), puts up near 100% patterns in a 30" circle with the 1 1/2 ounce HW BB, yote loads at 50 yards through a Carlson's mid-range Super Steel choke. That is the max range I would ever want to shoot a yote at, but I am sure it would flatten one quite a bit further out than that as I have read claims of one shot kills in excess of 65 yards with it. Besides, a fox or a goose are nowhere near as durable as a yote now are they? I know how much you like your "big 10" too Don, but honestly, what does the gauge of a gun have to do wth how the pellets do their job? The size of the gun or shell it shoots is irrelevant in everything that has to do with the actual killing part other than the patterns it throws and even the patterning capabilities of the mighty 10 can easilly be matched in a 12 gauge nowadays.

I also have to ask then, how can Hevi shot #7's shatter and completely pass through the neck bones and get about 2/3 penetration into the body of a 22 pound turkey at 40 yards (and will actually do this in excess of 50 yards)and it leaves the muzzle at less than 1100 fps? Heavy Weight 5's and the BB yote loads even more so, WILL penetrate considerably further than Hevi 7s (which are roughly equivilant to lead 5's) and they (the turkey loads) leave the muzzle at 1300 fps and the yote loads are 1350. Both of which are right up there with a lot of heavy payload, steel shot waterfowl loads. The Winchester 1 9/16 ounce loads I run are 1300 fps and the BB and 2 shot loads will easilly make a goose looke like it had the air pulled out from under its wings at 45 yards and further, so just imagine what the HW 5's and BBs can do at that... and higher starting velocities.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts