The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me or something i am doing,but,i only get like 2 loads from Federal Brass and then the primers are loose or really easy to put into the brass?
I don't load hot or heavy loads and it still happens!
I have some once fired 30-30 brass that it happened from the factory loading and the brass is not what i would reload and use!
Any fixes for this?

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
It's all part of the lowering of material to raise profit, I've noticed the same thing with their brass, two or three loadings and their done. Only fix it to quit using it, I don't think Nosler, Lapua or Hornady makes 30/30 brass but I could be wrong, I hope they do for you. Trying to find Rem/Win bags of 50 seems impossible these days, just not a lot of choices unless you buy factory shells just to get the brass.

I just looked Hornady is available at Midway USA

·
Super Moderator
8,069 Posts
I've had similar experiences with Winchester brass, too.

It stinks when it happens, but I guess there's not much we can do about it.

Like 6-DASHER said, you're unlikely to find the higher-end brass companies doing much for the 30-30, and that's <span style="font-style: italic">usually</span> the solution...to go to better quality brass.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have an old Savage Model 340-30-30,i was using the brass in. It is my lend to new kids for hunting gun and cast bullet shooter!
My guns amount to a bunch of 30-06s,308s,243s and some varminter guns.
Brass is scarce.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
willyp said:
A fellow on another site told me he Super Glues the loose primers in on Federal brass when they get loose?
That must have been "Scope Eye"

You can always try a Hart Case Saver I haven't used one but some say its works. Dunno.

Another option if you can find any since they're not being imported any longer are the Russian Wolf/Tula LR primers. Most times you need to beat them in with a hammer but fit slightly oversized pockets nice and tight. If you get down this way for some strange reason I'll give you the 500 or so of whats left in the brick. I don't use'm.

Bill

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can count on Wild Bill to have my answers. He is lucky he lives so far away from me!!!!!!
The Hart Case Saver,price of it is beyond me.
I don't like Super Glue either and the cases,i have piles of RPs and Winchesters to use. The Feds will go into the brass recycle bucket.

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
If a primer doesn't fit tight, and is so loose it needs glue or nail polish to keep it in the primer pocket, what's to keep the hot gasses from flowing out of the touch hole, around the primer, and etching the bolt face? No thanks. I think I'd just buy new brass, or once fired used brass. 30-30 is pretty common. If you keep your eyes open it shouldn't be too hard to come by. I might have some extra here if you need it.

·
Super Moderator
8,069 Posts
^^^That.

If they won't stay in on their own, there's more issues than the primer falling out. If anything, that's a valuable safety feature to stop one from loading brass that shouldn't be used any longer.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Borden811,Thank you for the offer,but i seldom shoot the Old Savage 30-30 anymore. I enough brass made up of Remingtons and Winchester.
This old gun is in really nice shape and,as you said,i would not want to mess the bolt face up.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
If the primers actually fall backward, the brass is no good. If they are just easy to seat, you can use that brass.

Yes, Hart makes a tool to tighten pockets. BUT...all I have read says you need to use it with every reloading and after working the primer pocket several times, the brass is case hardened beyond repair.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.