The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one shoot them? How do they perform on deer? I'm worried about them being to light. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Depends on the shot you are taking. 55gr and 70 will do the job with a head or high neck shot. If you prefer to shoot in the body, go with the 90 or 95gr. With the 70gr, make sure not to try and push any brush, it won't make it through.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I would advise against using the 70gr ballistic tips. They're a varmint bullet and as such are likey to be to frangible for whitetail. The 90 and 95gr ballistic tips are of heavier construction and perform well on deer.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Mathews Shooter said:
Any one shoot them? How do they perform on deer? I'm worried about them being to light. Thanks for the input.
I used them till Federal Jacked their prices of them up to dsang near 40 bucks a box.....

I started using them in 1992 and stopped using them 2 years ago when the prices went up...

I do not remember how many deer I took with the Federal 70 grn ballistic tips but it was plenty and many...pretty much a deer a year in there and sometimes 2 or 3 a year...

only 1 deer walked away from a 70 grn ballistic tip BUT was recovered the very next day.,...the reason it walked away and was not found till the next day was not due to the bullet but due to me making a Poor Shot and it was the very first deer I shot with the 243 with 70 grn ballistic tips in 1992!

those 70 grn ballistic tips are FAR from to Light a bullet for Deer!!!
They will knock the snot out of deer!!

1 thing to NOT do with them, do NOT shoot shoulders!!! You will end up tossing a lot of meat way for those 70 grn ballistic tips explode when they hit and distroy the meat around the shoulders!

Heart/Lung Shots normally end up with a deer with no heart and jelly lungs and either flops on it's side DOA or goes on a death run for maybe 25 yards and piles up!

Neck shots are just like a neck shot with any other caliber...DEAD DEER on the spot!

If your not a good shot, don't take a head shot, if you are a good shot and want to take a head shot, Rethink it.,..the end resuts isn't Pretty but is a DEAD DEER!

my 1 buddy bought his son a 243, he has seen first hand what the 70 grn ballistic tips do to deer from hunting with me, he even took a buck 3 years ago using my rifle with the 70 grn ballistic tips...his son has shot 3 deer with his 243 since getting it and the end result has been DEAD DEER!

70 grn ballistic tips are FAR From to lite of a load for Whitetail!

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Go to Nosler's website and read what the different caliber and weight ballistic tips are designed for. They make them with thin jackets for varmints and thicker jackets for deer sized game. As has been said MANY times before...you can kill animals with just about anything but using bullets designed to do a specific and proper job is the smartest way to go.

·
Registered
893 Posts
They are a bullet designed for varmints.
It's not so much the weight of that bullet as it is the construction

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just went to gander mtn and they are sold out. Checked on line and every where is on backorder. Seems to be pretty popular.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the input guys. I knew it would be a toss up, but wanted to hear the good and bad.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I have never shot a deer with the 70 grain Ballistic Tip, but I have shot scores of woodchucks with that bullet handloaded. The explosiveness on a small animal leads me to question the ability to penetrate a deer sufficiently, but I have nevershot a deer with one. It justs seems easier to load a Partition and go deer hunting.

Will

·
Registered
2,998 Posts

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Peck Hill Will said:
I have never shot a deer with the 70 grain Ballistic Tip, but I have shot scores of woodchucks with that bullet handloaded. The explosiveness on a small animal leads me to question the ability to penetrate a deer sufficiently, but I have nevershot a deer with one. It justs seems easier to load a Partition and go deer hunting.

Will
Go shoot 2 with those 70 grn ballistic tips...

Shoot 1 in the heart lung area and the other right between the eyes...

Come back and post the results!

I can tell you what they do...heart/lung shot, they explode inside after going thru the hide and hitting a bone and the insides looks like someone took a Granade and pulled the pin and inserted it in the deer...shrapnal all thru the heart lung and sometimes the liver and the heart is completly distroyed and the lungs are Jello...

Head shots with them looking directly at you has a deer with the top of it's skull Completly Gone and the brain pretty much jelly if it is still in there at all!

But, they are not big enough for deer...LMBO!!!

this topic is just like the 223 topic a few months back...

Better get these out and shoot them Elephant sized deer with it!

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I doubt they would load that howitzer with a shell that turns to powder upon impact when engaging tanks. I bet they would pick the right ammunition for the task at hand.

ANY bullet will kill under IDEAL conditions. It is when a shot lands where not intended that having the right bullet makes the difference.
Anyone that chooses to use bullets designed to kill gophers on deer can certainly do so. To do it when other MUCH better bullets designed for the game are available, well.....it says a lot.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I personally can't say enough about the new Hornady Superformance 95 grain! just got back from TX hunt and it did awesome! 170 yard dropped nice Axis deer on the spot, 100 Yard pig shot between the eyes drop and 60 yard pig between the eyes again dropped on the spot! Pig damage was amazing to head only, Axis was neck shot and again did phenominal.

·
Registered
151 Posts
i just got the winchester powermax for my .243 i hope they shoot good, im used to my 30.06

1 - 16 of 16 Posts