The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to purchase six boxes of Federal 10 ga.
2 7/8" shells in #4 lead shot.
The price seems very reasonable but, aside from crow hunting, what are some other possible uses?
The seller said he used them on late season pheasant and were deadly.
However, I don't foresee myself lugging an Ithaca Mag 10 around for a pheasant hunt....

·
Registered
400 Posts
FYI, they may not cycle reliably if at all in a mag 10. Mag 10's were made for 3.5 inch only. I know, I have 2 mag 10's and a Browning 10. You need a SXS or O/U. I have one of them too. Heavy suckers. I would be very interested in some of those shells if you buy them and do not need or want them all.

PM me. I have tons of stuff to trade and $$$ would not be a problem.

PS: I used to hunt up and down both sides of route 15 between Frederick and Emmitsburg back in the late 70's and early 80's. Those apple orchards held tons of pheasants and rabbits. Those were some good times.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Re: Federal 10 ga. shells -- 2 7/8" Possible Uses?

I use them for turkey. I figure they are paper and roll crimp? very good patterns with mine.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I know of guys who use the short shells in a Mag 10. I have a couple of boxes laying around somewhere they use to be used for my duck loads.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I have a beautiful SxS double with 32 inch full and full barrels; XXX wood. The wood and engraving are really nice; and looking at all that beauty actually makes carrying the monster worth it.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I was told that they would not cycle reliably in an Ithaca or Browing gold ten as they would kick two out of the mag and try to double feed.

I guess you could just put one in the magazine and have a 10 gauge version of Browning's "twelvette", which was a 12 gauge semi that only held one in the chamber and one in the mag.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts