The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
2 come to mind..
1. Kelly's Heros-bc oddball and the tank action when they wreck shop on the train depot is 1 of the reasons i joined the army as a tanker..lol
2.Black Hawk down-I feel the truest, grittiest,realest war movie ever made, shows you the caliber of the men in special forces, operational detachment delta, and the rangers, dedication to your fellow man, to the mission and the willingness not to quit, no matter how bad the situation is.

i really couldnt pick between the 2, id have to leave it to a tie.

honerable mentions:
1. The Beast
2. The longest day (gotta love black and white, john wayne, robert mitchum..)
3.The patriot (aim small, miss small)

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
ATR, Just curious if you watched the "Band of Brothers" miniseries or the new one "Pacific" that is on HBO now. Both my grandfathers were WWII vets and my wifes Grandfather just received medals about 5 years ago for actions in WWII. He was shot in the legs and crawled for three days behind enemy lines until he was able to find an American unit. He doesn't talk about it much but I have been trying to get him to let me video interview him to keep his memories and heroism alive for the family after he is gone. I have the utmost respect for all soldiers.

I enjoy war movies from all conflicts but the WWII movies are my favorites

·
Registered
145 Posts
cant stand saving private ryan..i cant stand tom hanks and i cant stand that women of a terp they have, how they let that german walk, how they stayed at that bridge for that ryan joker, movie makes me sick, because all the warriors in that movie died, tom sizemore died, that sniper, the left handed guy...barry pepper died, the medic died, the jewish guy, died.

all because of tom hanks, movie makes me want to vomit

·
Banned
14,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tuckerman said:
ATR, Just curious if you watched the "Band of Brothers" miniseries or the new one "Pacific" that is on HBO now. Both my grandfathers were WWII vets and my wifes Grandfather just received medals about 5 years ago for actions in WWII. He was shot in the legs and crawled for three days behind enemy lines until he was able to find an American unit. He doesn't talk about it much but I have been trying to get him to let me video interview him to keep his memories and heroism alive for the family after he is gone. I have the utmost respect for all soldiers.

I enjoy war movies from all conflicts but the WWII movies are my favorites

Tuckerman,, Band of Brothers is the kinda stuff I like but I really haven't watched that yet.
Thats an amazing ordeal about your wifes Grandfather.

My dad was on the destroyer SS Heerman in WW11 one of the major battles was "Ladye Gulf" They've had a few things about it on the history channel. My dad is still alive at 84 and its amazing how well he still remembers the war. I guess when someones trying to kill you it sticks in your memory. I have a 7.7mm jap rifle my dad got in the war.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Platoon and Full Metal Jacket

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
Band of Brothers, then I would also mention Midway, Battle of Britain, Saving Private Ryan, Black Hawk Down and those "Shootout" series on History Channel about battles fought.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
hard to pick one - but I agree that the first 15 mins. or so of Saving Private Ryan is pretty intensive... Those guys that stormed the beaches are true heros...

1 - 20 of 91 Posts