The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what times everyone likes to be out in the dark...it seems around here its good right after dark til about 11.....then there's a dead period for a few hours and it gets better around 3am til daylight

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
My peak hours vary during the season, this is why...
Good time depends on early or late season, weather, wind and weather fronts.
Keeping on top of peak hours is an advantage to predator hunters.
Studys have shown Fox 'rest' near 1 am to 3 am. But even this has varibles.
Many archery hunters 'see' Fox/Coon/Coyote before sunset.
To <span style="text-decoration: underline">pile up 'numbers' </span>early fall when predators are young and dumb and lots of pups to harvest.
Early fall, when farmers are taking off crops, watching or knowing Fox/Coon/Coyote movement will aid to ones success.
The game changes after Deer Season. Less critters, and those that survived traps and lead, have a PHD in survival. One must adjust to their habits and haunts.
I have success daylight hours during exteme cold snap and prolonged snow cover, late season.
In-season scouting is a must to 'see & watch' what predators are telling us.
Having alot of territory and time is a key to success. I sometimes fine an area to be 'dead' only to drive to the next county and that area is 'hot' hot hot. Why? I have no clue.
All in all, peak hours will vary during the long predator season. Keep on top of the game.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hunt a lot of suburban areas id think activity would pick up late at night when things calm down but lately it has been the exact opposite...right after dark has been a lot better...called in a yote [which I missed] a few weeks ago around 9pm when I could clearly hear a party going on in the housing development a few hundred yards away...maybe they are just used to the commotion

1 - 3 of 3 Posts