The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone have one? I just had a Healthy Choice Carribean Spicy Chicken thing for lunch and i'm in heaven.

Got me looking at Jerk recipes and though i've never used clove or allspice for anything but ham and Christmas dinner, but this was AMAZING.

I found some recipes online but always like to see what you guys have in your recipe box too.

·
Registered
13,869 Posts
What? you could'nt PM me for that?

"The Sugar Reef Carribean Cookbook," by Devra Dedeaux.

1 tablespoon Ground allspice
1 tablespoon Dried thyme
1 1/2 teaspoons Cayenne pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons Freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons Ground sage
3/4 teaspoon Ground nutmeg
3/4 teaspoon Ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons Garlic powder or fresh
1 tablespoon Sugar
1/4 cup Olive oil
1/4 cup Soy sauce
3/4 cup White Vinegar
1/2 cup Orange juice
1 Lime juice
1 Scotch bonnet pepper (habanero)
3 Green onions -- finely chopped
1 cup Onion -- finely chopped
4 to 6 chicken breasts

(Note: Sugar Reef is a restaurant in Manhattan) Seed and finely chop Scotch Bonnet pepper. Trim chicken of fat. In a large bowl, combine the allspice, thyme, cayenne pepper, black pepper, sage, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, garlic powder and sugar. With a wire whisk, slowly add the olive oil, say sauce, vinegar, orange juice, and lime juice.
Add the Scotch Bonnet pepper, onion, and mix well. Add the chicken breasts, cover and marinate for at least 1 hour, longer if possible.
Preheat an outdoor grill.
Remove the breasts from the marinade and grill for 6 minutes on each side or until fully cooked. While grilling, baste with the marinade. Bring the leftover marinade to a boil and serve on the side for dipping.
Note: Scotch Bonnet peppers, also known as "Habaneros" are the hottest of the capsicum peppers, they're truly incendiary. Substitute Serranos of Thai Bird Chiles if you can't find them.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
very familiar with habaneros and Scotch bonnets. i was dared to eat one my last year in vegas. I thought my eyelids were going to just ignite. somehow when i swallowed it, my anus immediately started to burn. I hiccupped once and some of the snot that was pouring from every orifice in my face landed on my hands. I washed my hands. while in the bathroom, i decided to go to the bathroom. I grabbed my junk to aim it at the urinal. at this point, approximately 75% of my body's skin was uncomfortable to say the least. I was becoming concerned. I washed my hands again. cold water wasn't helping. I wiped the tears from my eyes. Bad move. Everthing i touched erupted into flames. My only recourse was to get some ice cream. Mind you...i was at work when this happened. I walked (ran?) to the corner store and got a half gallon of vanilla bean cheap ice cream and began eating it with my hands and rubbing it on my face. It helped. I momentarily considered rubbing it elsewhere, but resisted the urge. I ate the entire half gallon. The following day, some of my coworkers swear they heard a guy in the restroom wincing in pain, dropping a deuce and mumbling something like "Come on Ice Cream...come on ICE CREAM"

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Jay..thats dang near one of the funnier things I read on here. Thanks. I agree, jerk seasoning is great....just never made it from scratch.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
If you get overwhelmed by hot peppers immediately drink some milk(whole), half and half or cream. Capsicum is fat soluble and if you swish dairy around in your mouth it will help greatly and it will help all the way down. I once did something just as dumb. I was in St Michales MD with my wife and we wound up in a pepper sauce and salsa shop. The clerk had a bunch of different kinds of peppers on the counter, there were some very small ones and as I was looking at them she pointed to the small ones and said no one can eat those, they are the hottest peppers in the world. Well I couldn't pass that challange so I said I can eat one. She gave me one and I ate it, it wasn't bad at first but then I felt like my head was going to explode, not from heat but from intense pain, then sweat started pouring out my pours and the pain went to my chest. I thanked her and quickly got out of the store and ran for an ice cream cone and wolfed it down. It took about an hour for the effects to completely go aay. Next time someone says to me,"no one can eat those", I will take ther word for it.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had a batch of those "noone can eat those" peppers growing at my parents house once. It all started with their annual garden of Jalapenos that grew on the sunniest side of the house. we always let some of the peppers ripen and fall, and they came back up every year without any help from us. It was quite a pepper patch. One year, i was working at Giant Eagle 65 (Brighton and Bascom) in the produce department. we got in some "christmas peppers" which were small hot pepper plants with small red yellow orange and green peppers on them. when I say small...i mean TINY. like a half inch long. we kept that plant inside for most of the spring and my mom had the great idea of planting it with the jalapenos outside. It flowered about the same time as the jalapenos. The next year, we had a couple plants that yielded short fat jalapenos...and the small pepper plant came back too. It was neat watching this happen. It went on for a couple years when finally my dad got up the gonads to eat one of the stubby jalapenos. he got one bite and a half a chew done when it came back out of his mouth with a puff of smoke. the fear in his eyes was foreign to me. THis was MY DAD here. he's super human. he loves hot food. I said "yer jokin with me..."...he handed me one. I too spit it out and truly understood the fear in his eyes.

All joking aside, they were hotter than any habanero i've ever eaten and we sent some seeds to burpee to check out. I think they quarantined them. We got a letter from them thanking us for the seeds. I've never seen them come out with any of the peppers. My dad still has a couple jars of pickled ones left I think. We keep them around just in case TEOTWAWKI comes and we need an alternative fuel source or some type of WMD.

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Favorite jerk recipe?
Mix
1 loud mouth conservative OR liberal
1 political conversation
6-8 beers

·
Administrator
30,191 Posts
Everybody seems to have a hot pepper story. I dont have one, but that's because I've lived a clean life and always followed a righteous path.
On the other hand, I have heard tell of a young man who was once swayed by peer pressuse to join a gang of teenage desperados in making a midnite raid on a vegetable farm. Alcohol may have been involved.
In the dark of the night they filled their burlap bags with eggplant, tomatoes, squash, and an assortment equal to the produce department of any supermarket, and then dragged them out to the edge of the road.
As they waited for their get-a-way car to arrive they realized that they were hungry, so they made their way back into the field and proceeded to gorge themselves on the peppers growing there. Lovely garden fresh peppers torn off the vines, ripped open to get the seeds out, and then stuffed into their mouths. In the dark they didnt realize what variety of peppers they'd gotten into. As I said, alcohol may have been involved.

Myself, I dont care much for hot peppers. I havent for a long long time now. I dont drink like I did when I was a kid either.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Years ago some smart alec brought habaneros to work. They came up with the bright idea of rubbing them on the mouthpiece & earpiece of phones when you left your desk. When you returned to your desk, they would call your nr., and roll around on the floor, when you started rubbing your ear and lips. Never seen my ear that red before. Washing in the mens room was futile. I broke an aloe vera leaf off of a girls plant and that did the trick.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
that there woulda been a butt whoopin tree mouse...a straight up butt whoopin. there's one thing to willingly embark on a mission of self masochism but to be unwillingly shot into orbit from capsicum induced fury would have had me looking for a scapegoat...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts