The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really itching to take a bird this fall with the 22mag and got to thinking - I've never cooked a wild turkey. I know most people just breast the bird out leaving the rest for the coyotes and coons. I'm not the wasteful sort though and thought the hinds ming be okay after pressure cooked and diced into some chicken chili?

I plan on brining the breast meat, then baking with a mesh of bacon over it and then slicing thin for sandwiches with or without gravy.

What's your favorite?

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
Turkey Jerky, basically any jerky marinade or recipe will
work the only difference is turkey jerky is more tender
than deer jerky, it's delicious!

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
The first turkey I fixed you needed to run it through a wood chipper to chew it.I met a man that use to cook for large hunting camps up north and told me how to cook a wild turkey. Make chestnut stuffing and bake the turkey slow with low heat, 175 to 190 degrees. Olive oil and butter in the roasting pan. Bast every 30 minutes when it is getting close to done. The last hour I would roll the bird around in the liquid. It was good! I did one the next year a little higher heat, it got tough.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.