The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really itching to take a bird this fall with the 22mag and got to thinking - I've never cooked a wild turkey. I know most people just breast the bird out leaving the rest for the coyotes and coons. I'm not the wasteful sort though and thought the hinds ming be okay after pressure cooked and diced into some chicken chili?

I plan on brining the breast meat, then baking with a mesh of bacon over it and then slicing thin for sandwiches with or without gravy.

What's your favorite?

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
the last turkey i got tasted fine and we ate the whole thing and didnt waste any. we just put it in a marinade whole and cooked it in the oven.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Whole turkey slow cooked (indirect mth) on a Weber if over a 20 lber that is!!

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Take the meat off the bone and put in a crock pot for 4 hours, then simmer in a skillet with butter and a jar of hot banana peppers for about an hour. good eating.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Trash can Turkey. 15-17 lb bird plucked. No seasoning needed. 2-1/2 hrs later crispy skin moist bird. Set it and forget it. Best bird you'll ever eat.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
VERY cool...2 bags of charcoal?

I must say though, i'm a bit leery of cooking with galvanized steel...

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
1 20lb bag of charcoal. The can is burned out over a hot wood fire till it shines and then flakes off prior to ever cooking with it.

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
Turkey Jerky, basically any jerky marinade or recipe will
work the only difference is turkey jerky is more tender
than deer jerky, it's delicious!

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Looks yummy!!

Did the Beer Can Chicken thing but never a Trash Can Turkey!!

·
Registered
816 Posts
IN a bag...
use a beer can insert on grill
or bone out and use carcass for some of the best stock you'll find..
watch cooking temp and time as they dry out way to fast

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
The first turkey I fixed you needed to run it through a wood chipper to chew it.I met a man that use to cook for large hunting camps up north and told me how to cook a wild turkey. Make chestnut stuffing and bake the turkey slow with low heat, 175 to 190 degrees. Olive oil and butter in the roasting pan. Bast every 30 minutes when it is getting close to done. The last hour I would roll the bird around in the liquid. It was good! I did one the next year a little higher heat, it got tough.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts