The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seen the favorite grill item and got to thinking what your favorite camping dish was? could be breakfast lunch or dinner or even desert. I have a few that I like but to start it off is foil babys.

it is pretty simple but allways works well camping. great for the kids also.

get yourself a good bed of coals going. then you make your foil baby.

now what is in a foil baby you say? well pretty much whatever you like to put in em. most are hamburger taters carrots celery mixed veggies and then they are thrown into a foil pouch and cooked till done. normally about 30 minutes. I normally put the following in.

.5lb of hamburger mixed like a meatloaf. add seasoning of your choice but I normally put in montreal steak seasoning. bread crumbs an egg.
red skin taters cut in halves.
onion
a lil garlic
then a shot or two of stubbs moppin sauce wrapped double in reynolds heavy duty foil. put meat in center surrounding it with taters and onions. cook till taters are soft. cut open pouch and ya got a plate to eat out of. clean up is simple also. sometimes I also add brats or sausage. I never add chicken just for safety. but this is a simple meal.

desert. dump cake.

take one standard sized dutch oven.
two boxes of white moist cake mix
the needed ingriedents for cake which normally are 3 eggs per mix veg oil and water. don't worry about the water. tell ya why in a sec.
one 12oz sprite
one can of blueberry pie filling.
brown sugar.

dump in dry contents(except brown sugar) into dutch oven.
dump in eggs, veg oil, pie filling, and sprite.
mix contents till it there are no clumps other then the fruit.
place dutch oven onto a even bed of coals and shovel coals on top. after about 5 minutes pull about 10-15 briquetts to the side and arrange em so they are eaqually spaced under the dutch oven. do the same to the top put about 10-15 briquettes around the top. after another 10 more minutes rotate the lid 90 degs on the dutch oven and then spin the dutch oven 90 deg the opposite way. do this every 15 minutes. check inside the dutch oven. if there is smoke coming out you are burning the bottom and have too much heat reduce the number of briquettes. if it is getting done on top too quick then take some off the top. takes a few to get the hang of it. once toothpic knife or whatever you stick it with comes out clean then take off the coals and take the coals off the top. blow the ash off then sprinkle brown sugar on top of the cake. place lid back on and then wait a few minutes. this should come out like a blueberry muffin.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
MMMM... That Dump cake sounds yummy!

I have made foil babies all my life...

When we were in Boy Scouts we would make the for a hike and cook over open fires.

They are great to have too, brings back old memories!

I gotta get the dutch oven out and try that cake though!

Thanks!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Foil babies are good. We always called them Cub Scout Casseroles, cuz I learned to make them when I took Baloo training in scouts.

I do something similar with squash: peel and slice them, and arrange them in a foil package with a dollop of butter on each slice.

Does anyone have any good chicken recipes?

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
eagle scout in the BSA. been through all the ranks from cubs on up to eagle. learned it in the cub scouts. learned the dutch oven cake once I got in boy scouts. I got a lot of good recipes from the boy scouts.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
our boy scout cake was a bit easier. we just did a plain jane cake mix with enough water or milk to make it pourable. don't worry about lumps. melt a full stick of butter in the dutch oven over heat. once the butter is completely melted, add the cake batter, swirling it around to capture pockets of butter. spoon in dallops of any pie filling and then bake as described above.

we like chocolate cake with cherry filling (sneak in a couple small pieces of hershey bar all over the place too...YUM!)
yellow cake with apple, or blueberry or ANY fruit pie filling
Pineapples, use the juice to make the batter, no milk - easy pineapple upside down inside out cake...

Google "potjie"

We use a potjie to make camp beans

1/2 bacon, diced up
1 lb ground beef or venison or chicken or turkey...you get the idea
1 LARGE spanish onion diced
1 bag of beans (any) rinsed and any stones removed
1/4 cup molasses
a little chili powder, pepper flakes, etc

dig a pit 1.5 times the depth of potjie and at least as wide, prefer 2x width and start a BLAZING fire. we want a good bed of coals in a few mins
get the potjie heating, and sweat the bacon till well done, add the meat, brown and then add everything else, with enough water to completely cover.
put the lid on, and lower potjie into pit with the coals. pass a large stick or chain thru the lift handle, and bury the potjie. come back in 8-10 hours and pull it out and serve.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have done cakes like that also jason. I just like the more consistant cake that mixin helps with. the favorites we allways got were chocolate/cherry yellow/peach yellow/apple and white/blueberry. the white/blueberry was allways the favorite. I have never personally tried using pineapple and yellow but have had it and I must say it is awesome. just most people do not like pineapple upside down cake.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you mean you don't know what a pizza mountian pie is? well I will tell ya my version. get two pieces of bread and butter on one side. get a mountian pie maker. place bread in mountian pie maker butter side to the outside. add sauce cheese and I actually add mushrooms to it or sausage or whatever is left over from the day in it. you name it. anything from hamburger, sausage, ham, turkey, veggies, whatever that you find on pizza. close pie maker and then cook till toasted on the outside. golden brown is how I like mine watch out the inside will probably squeeze out and burn ya. another one I like is black forest mountian pies. butter two slices of bread. place bread in mountian pie maker and add a spoonful of cherry pie filling with two baby marshmellows and a small bar of chocolate or a hersheys kiss. make till golden brown in maker. mmmm.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
gawd i love mountain pies...all bets are off when it comes to filling those little buggers. from beans and weenies to pulled pork and even marshmallows and chocolate, I think we have put darn near EVERYTHING in a mountain pie maker.

I REALLY like using croissant dough in them
Ham and cheddar on croissant mountain pies...dang i'm hungry now.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
breakfast item here. pretty quick and easy.
1 large potatoe per person
3 eggs per person
.25 lb bacon per person
1 onion
cast iron skillet
lard or veg oil to fry potatoes in.
this one has some prep if you want to get it done relatively quick. take large potatoes. wrap in tin foil. bake in the hot coals of your fire the night before. cook till done. take potatoes out and let cool. in the morning slice large potatoes in half and then slice into medallions about a .25 thick. fry till golden brown. I add half a cut up onion in also. once they are fried take off and keep warm drain by placing on folded over paper towels. fry bacon next. I normally get the thick cut peper bacon. I fry till it is to that point between being so crispy it crumbles and allmost raw that it is just barely turning pink. take bacon and put on paper towels and allow to drain like taters. while the bacon is cooling a bit I clean the cast iron frying pan out just by whippin it out with a paper towel. cut or pull apart bacon so it is in pieces. put taters and bacon into frying pan again mixing them up and then make a circle in the middle crack beaten eggs into center. once they start to firm up a bit then scramble everything the bacon taters onions together and fry till eggs are done. season to taste with salt pepper serve with toast and mild chedder shreded cheese on top. this is so good it will make a puppy pull a freight train. mm mmmm

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
alpine4d said:
pizza mountain pies
Yep, that's always a requirement before ending the night. Drunk or sober!

Breakfast is always the best meal when camping. Hash browns w/cheese and onion, some good smoked bacon or sausage, and a couple eggs over easy broken on top. All cooked in the bacon grease of course.
Or there's french toast with a bit of vanilla extract mixed in the egg wash, and dusted with powdered sugar once it's done. And don't forget the Mrs. Buttersworth!

For supper I like the simple hamburger helper in the original beef pasta with some buttered bread. I guess it's a childhood thing!

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
This all sounds so good. Looks like I will have some recipes for the next camping trip. Big Ben how about writing a small book on camp cooking!

·
Registered
15,144 Posts
The Mess
3 lbs of sausage
1 dozen eggs
Cheese

Brown the sausage, while it is browning mix the eggs like you were going to make them scrambled once the sausage is brown add the eggs, after the eggs are down just put the cheese over top of the eggs and sausage. It is a very big hit at camp during hunting season.

·
Registered
273 Posts
breakfest mountains pies
one egg
bacon
cheese
dont cook to fast ,, if you want yoke broke poke hole in bread after bout 2 min.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
keystoneMAN 85 said:
Big Ben how about writing a small book on camp cooking!
na I doubt it. most outdoorsmen are good cooks. atleast most I met are. sometimes the best dish's come from people desperate to make something work with minimal cleanup and preparation.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
here is another one I do often. in fact I normally do this at home when I cook on the grill.
pepper steak.
2 bell peppers. get which ever color you like but for some reason I like the yellow and orange ones. they taste different then the green ones.
1 large onion
1 bottle of gazebo room dressing(greek style dressing)
1 gallon baggie
one steak of your choice. I generally get london broil.

take bell peppers and clean inside out. cut into chunks and put it into baggie.
take onion and cut in half and then into quarters and then flake the onion out. put into baggie.
put the salad dressing into baggie for minimum one hour. I prefer overnight or do it in the morning.
then
in a grillin basket I cook the steak over a bed of coals till it is to the desired doneness. I normally season with a little salt and pepper. or montreal steak seasoning. then let rest. remember a steak will continue to cook a little after taking off the heat.
drain peppers after taking steak off heat and place the peppers and onions into the grilling basket. grill till the peppers are to the desired doness. I like mine with just a bit of snap to em yet. once they are done cut steak into strips. mix steak and peppers together and drizzle salad dressing over both steak and peppers. I normally also do eared corn on the cob if I can find any at the store. I peel back the green leafs to expose the silk in the center. pull the silk out and then fold the leaves back up. soak in water for atleast a hour. then lay on hot coals till done. easy way to do corn on the cob without using a lot of water.

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
alpine4d said:
pizza mountain pies
Yeah, that's what I'm talkin about!

Our other favorite camping food is venison. We always save a pack of steaks and thaw them out a couple days before we leave. Put them to marinate in italian salad dressing and cook over an open flame on the last night. Bake some potatoes and serve with an ice cold High Life. MMMmmmmmm!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts