The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Just purchased a box of Federals 115grRN for the first time for a Glock 17. just curious what everyone else thinks. Thoughts?

I should specify:
Target -
Protection -

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
The American Eagle stuff for target shooting, and I like the Cor-Bon +P ammo for protection. Good luck!!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
great, thanks. Whats the +P stand for??

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
The +P means that they are loaded to higher pressures thus giving you more velocity. Your Glock will be able to handle those.

·
Registered
378 Posts
My G19 & P226 seem to both favor 124 gr. anything's. The Glock also likes fast 115 gr. loads. I used to love the old Federal 124 gr. Nyclad round, this was accurate in both guns, but I don't think it's made anymore.

There are also "+P+" rounds as well. Mostly seen in LE circles but I believe you can get them.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
My favorite loads are the ones on sale that day. I'm not a good enough shot to be able to tell the difference. I will say however that I haven't bought any in quite some time. I've been shooting 115gr nosler HP's I reloaded. They seem to shoot about the same as everything else I sent down the pipe.

·
Registered
7,050 Posts
My Glock has never balked at any target ammo. Blazer, WWB, UltraMax, Reloads, Lead, Federal, Privi, etc ... just buy it and shoot.

For protection ammo I like the Corbon + 9 - the Winchester Black Talons, Hornady Critical Defense, etc

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I would highly not recommend shooting non jacketed bullets out of a Glock unless you have an aftermarket barrel.

Glocks have polygonal rifling and can quickly lead to high pressures which can cause the barrel and/or gun to break or even explode.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
For a personal defense 9mm round its VERY hard to beat the Double Tap 124gr +P.
They are tipped with a Speer Gold Dot Bullet.

The muzzle velocity and energy are better than some 357mag defense rounds out there.
Example: (Taken from Midway USA)

<u>357mag Rem Golden Saber 125gr</u>
Muzzle velocity: 1220 fps
Muzzle energy: 413 ft. lbs

<u>9mm+P DT 124gr </u>
Muzzle Velocity: 1310 fps
Muzzle Energy: 473 ft lbs

They come in a box of 50 and are cheaper than most on the market ( $35 for 50 ) so you can practice with half the box to see if your gun likes em and still be able to load up some mags.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
SgtUSMC said:

The muzzle velocity and energy are better than some 357mag defense rounds out there.

357mag Rem Golden Saber 125gr

9mm+P DT 124gr

They come in a box of 50 and are cheaper than most on the market ( $35 for 50 ) so you can practice with half the box to see if your gun likes em and still be able to load up some mags.
It looks like a good round for a 9mm, but in no way compares to the average .357 mag. You made a low end to high end comparison. Neither round is a good representative of the respective caliber.
Compare the 9mm Double Tap to the .357mag. Double Tap 125gr. Speer Gold Dot. It is also a high end .357mag.

Muzzle Velocity: 1600 fps
Muzzle Energy: 710 ft. lbs.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
ronnya1 said:
SgtUSMC said:

357mag Rem Golden Saber 125gr

9mm+P DT 124gr

It looks like a good round for a 9mm, but in no way compares to the average .357 mag. You made a low end to high end comparison. Neither round is a good representative of the respective caliber.
Compare the 9mm Double Tap to the .357mag. Double Tap 125gr. Speer Gold Dot. It is also a high end .357mag.

Muzzle Velocity: 1600 fps
Muzzle Energy: 710 ft. lbs.
Right, I know thats what I did, in no way was I saying that that the 9mm in itself had more energy or velocity that the magnum. All I was stating that the DT is good ammo that compares to some of the 357's defense ammo out there.

I carry the 357 DT's in my SP101 also
He asked about the 9mm, so I gave him an example of a 9mm round that gave him some extra power to kind of rival hotter calibers.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
good stuff guys, keep'em coming!

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Heres my baby I love to reload.My dillon square deal b is great,I can load over 1000 rounds per hour with that baby. Theres 5000 in the pic. Thats my CC gun I carry.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts