The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm new to the world of the .308. I've been reloading for various calibers for while now, and plan on reloading for my new .308 rifle. I'll be using it for deer mostly, from 50 yards out to possibly 400. So, what are your favorite deer bullets and loads for the .308 Winchester?

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
A 150 grain nosler partition or barnes x-bullet will take care of any whitetail deer that ever walked..use awesome bullets and take the worry out of the picture.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I'll pass on the expensive premium bullets for deer. I'm not hunting 300 lb animals, or shooting a super high velocity rifle. I use them in my 25-06, and my 300 ultra, simply because I want the bullet to hold together at extreme velocity. I'm just looking for a regular bullet for deer. Anyone have any experience with the 165gr Sierra hollow point boat tail?

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
I have used the Sierra 165 gr BT in my .300 Win mag. Most accurate bullet I have found for it and smacks down deer.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
165gr Nosler ballistic tip over 45.5gr of Varget...

(i shoot accubonds but if i were strictly deer hunting i'd likely run ballistic tips..)

work upto that Varget load..most rifles shoot well right around there...

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I don't own a .308, but have had great success with Sierra 150 gr Gamekings in my 30-06 & 30-338. Have killed deer with both rifles out to 350 yards. They are alot cheaper than some of the premium bullets & work just as well.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I am with Rayray,on the Sierra 150 Game KIngs boat tail or the Pro hunter 150 flat base over IMR 4064 powder. These seem to be a very accurate bullet and do a good job of putting a deer down at close range or out to as far as you would care to shoot!

·
Super Moderator
4,388 Posts
<span style="font-weight: bold"> Spend the extra and buy some Barnes TSX bullets...

The most important component of the harvest is the bullet...

They are VERY accurate and deadly on whitetails...</span>

·
Registered
513 Posts
What is your barrel length and twist? If you are looking to go to 400yds, the high BC bullets are a great option.
I have had good results with the Amax at longer distances. While they are not recommended for hunting, they are an expanding bullet and I use them for distances between 400-700 yds due to their violent expansion. I have had quick clean kills with pass through at distances as far as +/-650yds. My go to load is 46.1grs Ramshot Tac, 178 Amax, FGMM Primer, Lapua brass, OAL 2.815, 2810fps. I would not use this bullet unless you are shooting at distances where your velocity will be reduced.

I use a 165GMX when I am expecting shorter shots 48gr CFE223, FGMM primers, Lapua brass, 2.810 OAL, 2920 fps

The nice thing about the .308 is it shoots most bullets rather well.

***Remember, start with lower charges and work your way up. These are loads I have used after careful testing

·
Registered
20,874 Posts
I've used a .308 for over 20 years and forgot how many deer I've killed with 45gr of varget behind a Hornady 165 gr interlock flat base.It's absolutely deadly.A 165 gr interbond has actually peformed better than the interlock.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Guys, take no offense, but I'm not spending a buck a bullet to shoot deer and targets. Like I said, I use tsx and accubonds in my 25-06 and 300 ultra mags, where the velocity is high(3300+) and I don't want the bullet to shrapnel if I would have a close shot. This .308 will be used for deer, and the occasional pasture grizzly, just for fun. I plan on shooting it a lot, just to shoot. So I'm not looking for expensive bullets. Just regular old cup n core cheap deer bullets. I don't plan on pushing the bullets as hard as I can either, so I'm not worried about super high impact velocity. I've got the 25-06 and 300 ultra if I want to scream bullets at stuff. I think I've settled on Varget for a powder to start with, and 165 gr bullets. I just need to decide which bullet, and go from there. KLL, it's a 28 inch barrel, with a 1 in 10 twist. Should be good for the light to mid weight 30 caliber bullets.

·
Registered
513 Posts
If you've been on Midway or Natchez websites lately you will notice that Barnes and a few other premium bullets are all that they have in stock.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, I did notice that. I stopped at the local gun shop today. They're low on stock as well, but they're supposed to get a "shipment" on Friday. I'll see what they have then, get what I can, and go from there. It might come down to what I can find, and not just what I want.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts