The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how long you guys have waited for your mounts. List time and type of mount.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Longest I have waited is a year. I know of several guys who have waited several years. I don't understand why anyone would take an animal to a taxidermist who can not get in back within a year! It boggles me!

I with just about every one I know, now take our deer to Dave Dillon of Acme Taxidermy. 6 months and he is hanging on my wall.

·
Registered
862 Posts
It really depends. Godo taxidermists are usually swamped, so a year is the average. I have had some stuff that was full body mount done faster, as he needed room in the freezer/shop.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Black Squirrel - 5 years and Gray Fox from same gent - 6 Years...Took them both there at the same time.

Yep, not a typo and that fellow won't ever get any of my business again.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Waiting for a quality mount is not an issue for me. Typically a year is expected. Took my buck this year to a very good taxi and paid a few hundred more then all other local guys but will be done in 6-8 months. Does everything in shop

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Quickest I ever got anything back was about 6 weeks and that was last years archery buck. Longest I've waited was for a full body bear mount and that just over a year, but from a different taxi.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
6 weeks is normal for mine, has been shorter but almost never longer.

·
Registered
569 Posts
If you are getting it back in 6 weeks then your cape isn't tanned.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Not true Joe. I tan a lot of my deer capes and I can have one done in about 5 days. I have a 20 capes ready for the tan today from the first day of Buck. My butt is dragging though. LOL
As for the six week turn around, I bet your taxi is not very busy. I can guarantee you that he isn't doing much work.

·
Registered
813 Posts
JesseJamesJim said:
Black Squirrel - 5 years and Gray Fox from same gent - 6 Years...Took them both there at the same time.

Yep, not a typo and that fellow won't ever get any of my business again.
Did you wait that long to pay him once you picked them up?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I took a duck to a taxidermist the last day of the early duck season[October]this year and he said I should have my mount back before Christmas.

He also guarantees a 6 month turn-around time on most mounts. Haven't gotten my duck back yet but he seems like a stand up guy and he does it full time so nothing else to interfere[ie. primary job] with his work.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
No...I just paid him and took the mounts. I even gave him a thank you, with some regret, but did say it anyway. Everybody in my area says the same thing and a lot of guys still go to him. He does awesome work, but it takes a minimum of two years to get your work back. I think he spends more time hunting than working and that's the problem. I wouldn't go anywhere else, because he does great work, but I'm not ever waiting that long again. It's not like I didn't call him. After three years, I even put it on my calendar in Outlook to call him every two months. Everytime it was, "they should be done by such and such" and either when I'd stop by or call him, it would be the same thing again. I thought I was in a rerun of groundhog day over and over again.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Joe K. said:
If you are getting it back in 6 weeks then your cape isn't tanned.
Here's the elk I took in Sept. Hand carried the cape home and picked up the antlers from a freight terminal Sept. 28, took them directly to the taxi.

He called a couple days earlier but I picked it up on Nov. 19. He tans the hide himself. Think it took him a little longer than usual because of the size. Pic from the day I squeezed him into my living room.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Thats a nice display of mounts you have there.....congrats on all of them.

My taxi took less than six months, I saw him on St. Pattys day and he was complaining he had all these mounts guys needed to pick up and pay for but they didn't have the money yet. He was mad he had all that money tied up and I don't blame him. I told him I wanted mine and I had the cash ready, he said it was almost done and he'd have it ready in less than two weeks. Ten days later, he called, I picked it up, paid him and it looks great on the wall.....

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
The guy that does my taxidermy work takes about 9 months to finish. He has a full time "other" job and takes on a modest amount of work. He did say that he waits until he gets a few of the same species; turkey, deer, fish so that he can work on them one step at a time.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dropped mine off the last week of october, went by the shop last night and it is looking good. He's telling me it'll be done in january.
He is retired and does this at his own pace, but only takes on a few jobs at a time.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Dropped mind off first week of nov went out today to put some more $$ on it told him see him around july-aug he said it would be done maybe in march because of it being a archery buck, so thats good to hear

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
I have been waiting for 13 years for a coyote....yeah I quit waiting for it...I know I will not get it back.

My taxi is a year or less, unless I tell him to take longer. He has a 1 year guarantee for all customers but he is a close friend so I get put to the back sometimes.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts