The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Wouldn’t it make more sense give residents first 2 weeks, 1 week nonresident then unsold.
It used to be that way, not sure how long ago it changed, but I seem to recall that things were pretty dead for at least half of the second week of resident sales.. That's probably why it changed to 1 week then non-resident... why they made it two weeks between non-resident and unsold is even less clear...
But, since as someone mentioned above, it took till the second day of non-resident for his app mailed 7/9 to get processed, I'd be on board with seeing it go back to 2 weeks Resident, 1 week non, then right into the unsold rounds.

·
Super Moderator
14,542 Posts
The change to only one week, instead of two weeks, of resident antlerless before non-resident applications were accepted occurred in 2016.

This has been the first year that I felt it made much difference. The only units where it will make a difference this year are 2G and maybe, but not really likely, WMU 2B, 2F and 2H. I think all three of those units will probably sell out sometime next week but the processing should be pretty well caught up by then.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
13,029 Posts
I think it`s affecting 1B heavily. It may sell out before residents get a 2nd shot at one. They are lower than 2F. Dropping those tags in 1B by 9K is hurting the allocations for residents for a 2nd one this year. I feel they should go back to the first 2 rounds to residents again.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Non residents are the only licenses that have been relatively stable over the last ten years. Not sure if expanding the lapse to two weeks is in the best interest of the state and some businesses that benefit from them like motels, restaurants and processors.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Never had a problem with Montgomery County, mailed it on the 10th
got it on the 19th.

Reactions: octagon

·
Super Moderator
14,542 Posts
I think it`s affecting 1B heavily. It may sell out before residents get a 2nd shot at one. They are lower than 2F. Dropping those tags in 1B by 9K is hurting the allocations for residents for a 2nd one this year. I feel they should go back to the first 2 rounds to residents again.
I highly suspect 2B, 2F and 2H will be out before the first round of unsold are being accepted.

Residents never had an opportunity for an unsold round before non-residents got a chance at them in the past though. The only difference now is that residents used to have two weeks to get theirs in before non-residents could apply. In 2016 they changed it to where residents only had one week to apply before non-residents could apply.

In most units the application timing isn't going to make any difference though. I think the only unit where it likely made a difference this year would be 2G. The reduction in the allocation for some units will certainly make a difference on any being left for the second round in those units though.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Non residents are the only licenses that have been relatively stable over the last ten years. Not sure if expanding the lapse to two weeks is in the best interest of the state and some businesses that benefit from them like motels, restaurants and processors.
The change to one week was 5 years ago.
If nonresident sales have been stable for 10, it stands to reason they’d be stable with a switch back to two weeks of resident then nonresident.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I highly suspect 2B, 2F and 2H will be out before the first round of unsold are being accepted.

Residents never had an opportunity for an unsold round before non-residents got a chance at them in the past though. The only difference now is that residents used to have two weeks to get theirs in before non-residents could apply. In 2016 they changed it to where residents only had one week to apply before non-residents could apply.

In most units the application timing isn't going to make any difference though. I think the only unit where it likely made a difference this year would be 2G. The reduction in the allocation for some units will certainly make a difference on any being left for the second round in those units though.

Dick Bodenhorn
I wasnt sure if you meant 1b getting sold out. 2b still has 48k left.

·
Registered
335 Posts
The change to one week was 5 years ago.
If nonresident sales have been stable for 10, it stands to reason they’d be stable with a switch back to two weeks of resident then nonresident.
Looking at sales the first week, it's probably a moot point. SRA and 5B have hardly budged on sales. There may be a chance the sell out will be later or not even occur this year for those WMUs. The problem with both the SRAs is places to hunt and a lot of 5B has been wiped out by the driver groups.

·
Registered
4,818 Posts

Dick Bodenhorn
2G sold out 2 days ago

Reactions: octagon

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
2G sold out 2 days ago
Yes, it did.
However, we had a member post that his resident app mailed 7/9 wasn't processed until yesterday, 7/20... 2 days into nonresident sales.
It stands to reason that some residents may have applied for 2G as first preference, but missed out, while nonresidents were able to get one..
It also stands to reason that the same may occur as other WMUs sell out this week.
Whether "blame" lies with slow processing due to online vendor issues, slow movement of CTs themselves, USPS delays, or a combination thereof remains to be seen...
I'll bet effected hunters aren't happy.
Regardless, that situation could be avoided if the nonresident round started 2 weeks after resident, vs 1...

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
Yes, it did.
However, we had a member post that his resident app mailed 7/9 wasn't processed until yesterday, 7/20... 2 days into nonresident sales.
It stands to reason that some residents may have applied for 2G as first preference, but missed out, while nonresidents were able to get one..
It also stands to reason that the same may occur as other WMUs sell out this week.
Whether "blame" lies with slow processing due to online vendor issues, slow movement of CTs themselves, USPS delays, or a combination thereof remains to be seen...
I'll bet effected hunters aren't happy.
Regardless, that situation could be avoided if the nonresident round started 2 weeks after resident, vs 1...
True and agree, unless the resident was lolly gaging.
Actually I thought non residents couldn't apply until the 26th.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts