The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
I really enjoyed this. Thanks for posting. Are there any follow up videos? I would love to see more.

I recently saw a movie about Dick Proenneke on WHYY channel 12. It's a similar story to this one. Check it out if you've never heard of it.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
thats was very cool. thanks. i do have one question though, why would they not eat the bears that they kill? are they known to have diseases or somthing? i would just think that living up there you would want to eat everything you get rather than tossing it in the river

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Browns and grizzly are not eaten nor is their meat required to be salvaged because it is considered inedible because of the large percentage of meat and fish they eat. Although skull and hide must be salvaged regardless of circumstances of the kill, even self defense referred to as DLP (defense of life and property). Black bear meat is required to be taken only until May 31, after that it is the same rules as brown and for same reason. Hide and skull again must always be recovered. From Jan - May31 on blacks the 4 quarters down to knee and backstraps are required to be salvaged, not neck, brisket, rib, or tenderloin. Hide and skull must be the last pack out, in Alaska the meat (if required) always come out first, trophy on last trip.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
thanks i didnt know that they where considered inedible. figured it would be the same as a black bear. learn somthin knew everyday

·
Registered
893 Posts
i noticed that when they showed the lures they had in their tackle box , that I had a few of the same ones.
Made me feel good for some reason.....

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
This guy and his wife were on Flying Wild Alaska a couple weeks ago. Jim Tweto the pilot who owns era Airlines up in Alaska was hired to fly Heimo and his wife back to their cabin. Talk about a remote home! The pilot had a hard time finding the place and Heimo had to show him where to fly. They are beyond desolate from a remoteness standpoint. I don't know how they do it......

1 - 20 of 28 Posts