The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a job thinning massive White Pine to open the canopy for new growth. First pic with saw on top of log is a 30" tree, second pic is the largest of the day, 36", 98 feet tall.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Awesome pics Joe! 460 Mag?

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats a 440 Mag, they are my favorite. I always buy two together, the sister to this one bit the dust a month ago. Its in the shop now, waiting on a big bore motor kit to arrive. You will understand what I did with that big boy. I didn't want it down in the creek, so I held the hinge wood on the right side, and she rolled 180 degrees on the fall, right in line with the saw sight. Sometimes they go perfect, other times.....well you know !

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Haha, yeah. Rollin those big trees is one skill that I have yet to master. It always impressed me watching guys do it though that is for sure!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Did you use a Dutchman or a whizzy to roll it or just leave a little wood on one side? I don't see how leaving a little hinge on one corner would spin the tree.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You leave the hinge thicker on the side you want the roll to begin on. The tree will hang on that thicker side just as the thinner side lifts. If all goes well, you get the roll you desire. Technique does not work well with a secondary lean or split top. I try to leave all my butt ends facing the same direction, the road. This guy would have went down the hollow into the creek with a conventional back cut. Its far from an exact science, but I've done a few, LOL!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I get what you're saying. Ive used a Dutchman cut many times for the same effect, but a Dutchman can make the roll get a little severe. Nice work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts