The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got home from clearing off a small, narrow logging road for use as a Fall plot. the road is probably 70 yards long and "L's" at the bottom end.

this is in a wooded area and will receive limited sunlight. Above this area is a larger plot consisting of Ladino Clover and Brassicas. the woods around the logging road is some very thick cover, it had been logged 3 years ago. I have always seen good numbers of deer in this area.

I plan on treating the road with a Gly product as soon as I can, hopefully tommorrow or Sunday. The Ph is currently around 6.6.
What would you reccomend to plant in this area? I have a bag of WI Secret Spot and have been interested in the WI Winter Greens. Not sure if the sunlight will be an issue??

Thanks for any help!!!

Before

After

·
Registered
28,493 Posts
Can't see the pics here at work...but i got similar plot areas going on there second year. I have a mix of winter rye and brassicas planned for them.

I used Secret spot last year in them and considered it a failure...BUT I think it was a lack of rain, since the turkeys were dusting in my plot often.

·
Registered
28,493 Posts
Well i don't get any trunips that you would want to enter in the county fair (Yet
)...but when planted in a mix with others i get planty of leafage for that magic first frost consumption time period.

Can you clear trees away from the southern exposure at all?? It helps ALOT.

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can take some trees out and have already trimmed some branches I was able to reach, to expose a little more light.

I would say it gets an adequate amount of sun by the way the weeds grow, the old logging road grows up quickly every year!!

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got everything sprayed this morning with Glyphoshate. All the sticks, brush and rocks are gone. I'll probably go in next weekend and respray any lingering green stuff.

Hope to get it tilled and ready for planting by the beginning of August.

Anyone have any experience with Buck Forage Oats?? Not so much for this plot but another I have that is more out in the open.

·
Registered
28,493 Posts
I got forage oats from Tractor supply...I think they would grow on a rock...I know I spilled some and they grew in the dirt in the corners of my truck bed and in front of my shed.

Deer visited them, but I had other things in with it.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Clay Bonz, I could be wrong on this, but I will say something anyways. When we planted my plots in the begining we sprayed to kill all of the weeds. I suggested to till everything up and get a nice soft dirt seed bed and I was told not to because it will bring up the old seed in the ground and germinate it. Then you will have another weed problem. I would suggest to just broadcast the seed on the ground or if you have access to a drill, you can plant it that way. Like I said, I may be wrong but it worked for me.

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting Rober, makes sense! I'd like to hear more if anyone else has experienced this

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
Rober said:
Clay Bonz, I could be wrong on this, but I will say something anyways. When we planted my plots in the begining we sprayed to kill all of the weeds. I suggested to till everything up and get a nice soft dirt seed bed and I was told not to because it will bring up the old seed in the ground and germinate it. Then you will have another weed problem. I would suggest to just broadcast the seed on the ground or if you have access to a drill, you can plant it that way. Like I said, I may be wrong but it worked for me.
i also plan on making a plot this way so if i just rake off debris and kill the weeds there is no need to till?

also i have some advice make sure there is good soil to seed contact if you are broadcasting seed. such as raking the seed in.

·
Registered
231 Posts
With respect to Buck Forage oats, I planted them with brassicas the first year I put in food plots . I planted them the last week in July and they grew well-too good in fact- as they were too big by the time the deer were in the brassicas.
Last year I went to a QDMA seminar in Sept. and put in a strip of oats the second week of Oct. and they grew to 3-4" by rifle season. They froze and started growing again this spring.
I've heard them recommended for logging roads, trails, etc, but I haven't tried them there yet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts