The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some good things to plant for a fall crop in the garden? I've got open space from my lettuce, radishes, and peas that need to be filled. Let's hear some ideas!

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Any of the cruciferous vegetables.

·
Registered
16,458 Posts
Put my Garlic in yesterday. Typically planting now gives it a start, as the tops will pop out of the ground a few inches before hard winter sets in. This gives the bulb a good start going into next spring when it's the first green you see poking through the ground.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
I put my Garlic in, in the first week of September and it is ready to pull about the second week of June. Why are you 2 waiting till October and November?

·
Registered
16,458 Posts
My pap, came over from the Old Country (Italy) in 1914. Without fail, his garlic went in end of 1st wk or during 2nd wk of October. Never asked why, and his garlic was superb. To be honest, most everybody I know plants 1st part of October, and I don't know anybody that plants it Sept. Heck, many people I know don't plant it til spring, when they put onions in.

Maybe it's an Italian thing ? Works out well fer me though.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
The way i look at it,when the first freeze comes the tops died off,then they have regrow maybe two and three times this has to take something away from the plant thats why i plant mine in Nov. also I'm German and we are smarter than Italians

·
Registered
16,458 Posts
The way i look at it,when the first freeze comes the tops died off,then they have regrow maybe two and three times this has to take something away from the plant thats why i plant mine in Nov.
To the contrary, that's what actually provides the start to the bulb...... so maybe you'll want to flip this around...... "I'm German and we are smarter than Italians".

·
Registered
16,458 Posts
Yep, I agree with their statement......"In most areas of the Northeast, the best time to plant is October".

But you seem to do well with a November planting, so no reason to change.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts